AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns, I think you might enjoy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/15/2024 10:18 (#10740616 - in reply to #10740333)
Subject: more than you want to know

Pittsburg, Kansas

Ahhhh. Finally got it. I have never been on or used instagram before. I finally clicked on the cow and the video played. Now I see what you were sending to me. I had not seen the video play before, just the text on the page.

Yes, that is pretty much the information I have learned in the last few years. Lots of the nutrients that are listed on packages of vegetables are pretty low bioavailibility. So we don't get nearly the amount we think we do. Protein is a specific one. We get nearly all the protein out of meat but things like beans we only get a small fraction of the protein absorbed and usable to our bodies. So it takes a lot more of the vegetables to get the nutrients we need. If those vegetables also happen to be high in carbohydrates they will then raise insulin and the additional calories will likely go to fat storage because of excess energy. Meat by itself (without the addition of carbohydrates) has a very low insulin response. It would be extremely hard to get fat eating only meat. A person might gain weight if they are nutrient deficient, but if they do it would likely be muscle weight.

Dr Rob Cywess (on Youtube) said something a couple years back that stuck with me. He said eat meat for nutrition, vegetables for taste. Makes sense to me. What doesn't make sense to me is all of the officialdom drive to get us to stop eating meat and eat the large volumes of vegetables and grain instead. In my opinion it is not the healthy way to eat. In my opinion eat meat for nutrition. Then throw in a little bread or a few veggies if a person likes them as a side dish. As a side dish, not as the core of the meal.

My opinion. I am not a doctor or nutritionist. 

In my particular situation I am type II diabetic and I totally use diet to control my blood sugar. No medications (I used to take lots of medications including insulin shots - but no longer). So I keep carbohydrates to a bare minimum to controll my level of insulin and resulting blood sugar. So I eat NO conventional bread from grains (although my wife does make bisquits and a bread out of meat flour made from chicken) and no starchy vegetables. But most people do not have to go to those lengths. Diabetic type II should consider it (again, my non-medical opinion only). 

My wife tends to feel the best when she eats minimal vegetables. So just in consideration to her I no longer eat things like salad. We just don't keep it in the house. I will eat one once in a while at a resturant. She will shove her portion over to me. On our table at home we nearly always have dill pickles (I really like them) and olives (she really likes them). We also have a half avocado each quite often. I sometimes will have some saurkraut (good source of vitamin K2). Onions at nearly every meal. Wife loves onions and seems to do ok with them. That is the extent of our vegetables at home. I will eat tomato slices if they come with a hamburger when eating out. She shoves hers over to me. Of course we do not eat the bun. We will often have a VERY small portion of berries on top of a low carb desert (talking 8-10 blueberries each). I will indulge in a pear or apple a day while they are on the trees ripe in season (from our back yard). That is the extent of our fruit consumption.

More than you ever wanted to know about our eating habits. It is what we have found that works for us over the last 5 years.

Going on a Caribbean cruise here in about a week. We will relax our eating a little bit but not much on the cruise. We have found we can pretty much get the meat we need on the cruises. Sometimes it may have a little sauce or coating we normally would not eat and we look the other way and eat such things for the week. I may have a piece of fruit once in a while as a desert. But even with all that food and deserts available nearly 24-7 we don't go crazy. Our health is more important to us than the short term pleasure of indulging in something addictive to eat.

Edited by John Burns 5/15/2024 10:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)