AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay testing probes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 12/18/2006 13:45 (#75365)
Subject: Hay testing probes

I've been putting it off but I think it's time to buy a hay testing probe and I was wondering what brands or models I should be looking at. Will be used for small squares and large round bales but it's possible we might do some large square bales in the future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WYDave
Posted 12/18/2006 13:59 (#75370 - in reply to #75365)
Subject: RE: Hay testing probes

Wyoming

Here's a listing of hay probes -- not exhaustive, but pretty complete.

http://www.foragetesting.org/index.php?page=hay_probes

For small (two-string) bales, I'd be concerned about using the larger probes that mount on a cordless drill. I don't know how your customers might view small bales with a big hole cored into it...

Always remember that more small samples, properly distributed across a lot of hay, more accurately reflect the overall quality of the hay than a few larger samples. For every lot of hay (which usually is 200 tons or so), I try to take at least 20 samples.

We use a sharpened golf club handle with a head brazed onto it, FWIW.

guypatrick
Posted 12/18/2006 14:29 (#75389 - in reply to #75365)

North central, IA
Cliff - you are a handy guy. I'm thinking you could probably do something like we did except yours would probably turn out better and look more professionally done/less cobbled when you are done.

Take a length of thin wall tube as long as you want the probe to be. On one end weld a hole saw that you've cut the chuck end off of. We sharpened and changed the shape of the teeth to cut into the hay a little better. On the other end of the tube rig a way to chuck it into a cordless drill. We welded on a socket the same diameter as the tube. The socket is then stuck onto a three inch extension which has been cut off to fit in the drill chuck. The only other thing you need is a wooden dowel which fits through the square drive hole in the socket to push the core of cut hay out.

Clear as mud?
Iowa Quality Hay
Posted 12/18/2006 15:56 (#75402 - in reply to #75365)

Grabill, Indiana
I just bought a manual probe from Star Quality Samplers in Edmonton, Alberta. I had a home-made one, but was not happy with it so I opted for one wiht a stainless steel shaft and a sharp tip. You can check them out at: http://starqualitysamplers.com/forage_samplers.htm

Jim
Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 12/18/2006 19:05 (#75475 - in reply to #75402)

Little River, TX

The owner and his wife have attended many California Alfalfa conferences and were at the Western Alfalfa & Forage Conference in Reno.

Six or so years ago I bought their tip for the Penn State probe. It works much better than the one that comes with the Penn State probe.

The Penn State Probe works for me, but then I do things different. I sample 3 inches deep, on 3 bales always on the same side, the same position on the bale wagon, and always the last full load coming out of the field.
True it is not a tub full of hay but than again I bale roughly 15 tons, in 55 lb bales, between when it is too damp to bale and when it is too dry to bale.
I stop by the equipment barn on the way to the hay barn where I have power to run the drill. We send off a sandwich bag size sample. Probably as much per ton as the big boys do, I just have fewer tons to sample each day.
The results are amazingly consistent.

Best hay sampling in the county. Only hay sampling in the county!

N

Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/19/2006 01:10 (#75669 - in reply to #75365)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I worked for a hay/soil/tissue test lab for a couple years. I was a field man primarily but was around the lab enough to know what happened with the samples I brought in. I could go on for days about some of the ways a sample can vary (or be varied on purpose) so I'll try and keep er short.

Sample Size-The lab is going to test a very small portion of what you bring in (generally only several grams). If you pull 30 samples with some of these big old honkin hay corers, 95% of it is going to get dumped before anything happens. How the lab splits (dumps) the sample can vary the test A BUNCH. So a huge sample (5 gallon bucket size) isn't really necessary and is probably detrimental. What you want is not a big sample, but a representative sample. A zip lock bag (quart size) is plenty, whether you get it from 2 cores or 30. We used the wet chemisty method, which is more accurate, but much more expensive and time consuming. I am not up on how much a sample can change in the lab, but labs generally will vary quite a bit from lab to lab on the same sample. One of the reasons a lab didn't fly around here was the dairymen wanted the sample tested at the lab they trusted. A test from a lab here may be give the grower an idea of what the hay was worth, but they still based the price upon what their lab said.

Sampling-How the stack is sampled is very important to the accuracy. Ever seen a dairyman/broker walk around randomly probing bales, up, down, at a 45* angle, on the edge of bales, on the top, etc, etc??? They have no idea what in the hell they are doing. For square bales anyway (I've never seen a round bale up close, so I have no idea how to sample them) the probe should be made in the center of the face of the bale. Regardless of the size of the bale, it needs to be in the middle. When things are getting baled a little dry, all the leaves that are shattered by the plunger face fall will fall to the bottom portion of the bale on each stroke. Therefore the bottom of the bale (which may be turned by the balewagon/loader/squeeze later on) will as a general rule tests better than the top. 2 or 3 tie conventional bales can also be influenced by the way the hay is fed into the chamber. Dry hay on one side of a windrow from the sun coming up can make one side test better, etc,,, you get the idea. The middle is the best chance at getting a good sample.
For many of the same reasons you always want to sample all the way around a stack, not just one end. If the stack is say 50 units long, sample every other one, which gives you 25 cores. We always shot for between 25-30. I also try and vary the bale I would sample within a balewagon stack, as often the headlands on a square field can end up in the same place in every stack.

Finally the coring device itself. Our lab always liked the golf club probes. The reason is you can push it into the middle of a bale (on a good tight three tie bale it can take a lot of effort) and it will cut a perfect core out, and 25-30 of those should be a good representative sample of the stack, yet still be small enough in volume to be manageable for the lab. I always looked at the sample when you dumped it out of the probe, and it was a bunch of little circles of stem and leaf. That way I knew that I had taken a clean core of the bale. The biggest complaint with anything that is powered is that it invariably drags more stem or leaf (depending on the type of hay/moisture) into the sample. They also generally take a larger sample. The tip on a golf club style probe should be basically flat, a slight angle can make it cut easier and it should still make a nice core. I take a golf club shaft, whack it off where it is about 7/16-1/2” on the small end, and cut the other end off so it is about 20” long (the depth of a good core should be 18-20”) Braze the big end into a ½-3/4” pipe nipple. You can now thread this into a reducer that goes to a foot long section of 3” PVC pipe, with a threaded cap on the other end. Get a rod to tamp the sample out of the golf club after you pull a core or two and it will be in the pipe ready to dump into the plastic bag when you are done. Should be easy to whip one up in the shop, and IMO will take as good of a sample as anything you can buy. Since I can't describe in words very well what I am talking about, I would be more than happy to get a picture of a probe (assuming they haven't all been borrowed away) if you would like.
dloc
Posted 12/19/2006 12:20 (#75838 - in reply to #75669)

Good instructions. Only one small mod. Use "clear" PVC pipe (McMaster Carr stocks it) instead of gray or white and make you life easier.
Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/21/2006 19:05 (#76946 - in reply to #75838)

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Ah, good idea. One of those 'why didn't I think of that sooner' ideas.

Thank you.
Badger
Posted 12/19/2006 08:17 (#75735 - in reply to #75365)

Huntley Montana

I've got both the Penn State & the Colorado Hay probes. Seldom use the Penn state. I like the colorado way better. It looks like a syringe needle with a syringe on the end to collect the sample. Don't need elect, just walk into the bale with it against your hip/waist & pull out.

Simple & fast.

Hank, in Or
Posted 12/19/2006 10:54 (#75805 - in reply to #75365)
Subject: Probe pictures

Bonanza, Or
Here is the one I use.

(hay probe 001.jpg)

(hay probe 002.jpg)

(hay probe 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hay probe 001.jpg (45KB - 629 downloads)
Attachments hay probe 002.jpg (50KB - 584 downloads)
Attachments hay probe 003.jpg (41KB - 506 downloads)
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)