AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

damaged hydraulic cylinder
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

agrtalker
Posted 6/9/2009 09:28 (#738084)
Subject: damaged hydraulic cylinder

The chrome on a hydraulic cylinder on my excavator got scratched and caused the seal to leak.
Anyone have a good way to repair the damaged cylinder. I do have a big lathe.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ham
Posted 6/9/2009 09:31 (#738092 - in reply to #738084)
Subject: Super glue..

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust

Clean it thoroughly.  Apply Superglue to the scratch.   When it's thoroughly dry,  use some  fine emery paper over it.

Of course that wont fix  a damaged seal.

Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 6/9/2009 10:32 (#738154 - in reply to #738084)
Subject: RE: damaged hydraulic cylinder

SW Ohio
There are places that can re-chrome a rod or replace with stock rod but unless it is a very special size or made of unobtainium it may be cheaper to replace the whole cylinder. Check with some of the largest constuction outfits in your area as they will know who does repair where ever you are.
Indianajones
Posted 6/9/2009 10:41 (#738162 - in reply to #738084)
Subject: RE: damaged hydraulic cylinder

Our old Case 530 was leaking on the boom cylinder. Rod is pretty badly pitted, but a new seal stopped the leak for about 4 years now. Never thought it would work as well as it has.
INDY
ekeller2
Posted 6/9/2009 11:18 (#738197 - in reply to #738162)
Subject: Re: damaged hydraulic cylinder

So. IL
Last time I had the arm cylider rebuilt and rechromed it was over $1600. So it may be worth it to try to fill it with something.
Jon Hagen
Posted 6/9/2009 12:00 (#738221 - in reply to #738197)

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
I have had good luck doing a permanent repair to scratched cylinder rods by filling the scratch with 50/50 acid core solder. If you can extend the cylinder enough to get the damaged area far away from the seal, you may not even have to disassemble the cylinder, just wrap the seal end of the shaft with a wet rag to absorb heat from soldering. After the shaft has cooled, use emery tape to sand the solder repair to the shape of the shaft.

This is the first I have heard of Ham's super glue repair. Sounds like worth a try for a cold, still assembled repair. Modern adhesives can make some almost magic repairs . :-)
Lil' Hoss
Posted 6/9/2009 12:39 (#738282 - in reply to #738084)

NESD
Several years ago I went to a training session for a product called Belzona, they have a large product line and the epoxy thay have is very good, similiar to JB Weld. they had samples of repairs that could be done and one was a cylinder with a gouge in the ram, what they advised was to grind the gouge out to get a good surface to bond to and then fill with Belzona and let it cure, then file and sand until it was smooth, if I remember they wanted the Belzona to be minimum 1/8 inch thick for strength. We repaired a lot of rear axle pivots on combines with the stuff and it really worked great.
agrtalker
Posted 6/12/2009 00:49 (#742152 - in reply to #738282)

Looked up their website and looks like a good product to try. Sure appreciate your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)