AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Draghose manure system pics
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerard
Posted 11/30/2006 18:32 (#67568)
Subject: Draghose manure system pics

Woodham, Ontario
On the weekend I promised to post pictures, been busy with work, but here they are!

We spread about 3 Million Canadian gallons per year. Probably the only application where Canadian gallons are still commonly used. That is 3.75 Million US Gallons or about 13,500 cubic meters.

The tractor on the pump is a 8120. We always use it because it has the best hydraulics and built in murphy switches. The PTO pump is a DODA pump and there is a hydraulic pump in the pit that feeds the PTO pump. The tractor can barely handle the load, usually maintains about 990 RPM on the PTO.

The compressor is used to blow out the hose when we are done with a section and have to move the hose. It is a 1988 LeRoi 185 CFM @ 100 PSI. Found it for cheap at the local Deere dealer who took it on trade for a skidsteer.

In 2004 and 2005 I used a NH TM140 in the field. In November of 2005 we traded it for a TM190 and the JD 7210 got new tires and the duals from the TM140 and was promoted to draghose duty. The reel on the tractors in the pictures has an integraded spreader nozzle too. It allows me to roll up upto 500M (1660ft) of hose without switching implements. We also have another larger reel that holds 5 hoses at 200M each or 1KM. (3300 ft)

All the manure is stored under the barns and agitated with "the beast" here shown on the 7710 IVT which was traded for the 8120.

Edited by Gerard 11/30/2006 19:13

(P6300001 (Medium).JPG)

(P6300002 (Medium).JPG)

(P6300003 (Medium).JPG)

(100_4343 (Medium).jpg)

(100_4344 (Medium).jpg)

(DSC02281 (Medium).JPG)

(DSC02288 (Medium).JPG)

(DSC02290 (Medium).JPG)

(P1010010 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P6300001 (Medium).JPG (72KB - 638 downloads)
Attachments P6300002 (Medium).JPG (82KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments P6300003 (Medium).JPG (59KB - 643 downloads)
Attachments 100_4343 (Medium).jpg (75KB - 587 downloads)
Attachments 100_4344 (Medium).jpg (93KB - 563 downloads)
Attachments DSC02281 (Medium).JPG (71KB - 635 downloads)
Attachments DSC02288 (Medium).JPG (82KB - 641 downloads)
Attachments DSC02290 (Medium).JPG (88KB - 589 downloads)
Attachments P1010010 (Medium).JPG (51KB - 591 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
agboy
Posted 11/30/2006 18:42 (#67572 - in reply to #67568)
Subject: RE: Draghose manure system pics

Flandreau, SD
you don't have to inject or incorperate it?  Gallons per acre. US please
Gerard
Posted 11/30/2006 18:45 (#67574 - in reply to #67572)

Woodham, Ontario
No we don't have to incorporate here. There is no way to incorporate into an alfalfa field without doing some damage.

On alfalfa we often spread 3000 Canadian gallons per acre which is 3850 US galons per acre.
On corn fields that will be plowed ASAP we often spread about 5000 Candian Gallons or 6250 US gallons per acre.
agboy
Posted 11/30/2006 18:49 (#67576 - in reply to #67574)

Flandreau, SD

I have seen Aeroway (I think) injectors for hay ground. still some damagebut required here

Then put on up to 20,000 us gallons dairy on corn ground here.  Looks like a big damn mess when they are done. they use inline rippers with tubes behind shanks.

frank-f
Posted 11/30/2006 19:04 (#67581 - in reply to #67568)

NEMO
mmmmm, I can almost smell that aroma just looking at the pictures!
Jon
Posted 11/30/2006 19:37 (#67594 - in reply to #67568)

Callao Missouri
I see you like Quickie loaders, can you give me a rundown on them. It dont take much to surpass the 7 and 840 deere but how do they compair to a westendorf? Jon
Old Pokey
Posted 11/30/2006 19:48 (#67601 - in reply to #67568)
Subject: Sure wish you'd come down here and spread.

That's a pretty slick setup. So if you spread 3.75 us gallons annual, how much can you get out in an average day?

I've seen a few pics of those very large machines that go with a very large and often custom application rigs, but I've never seen one this size before. How far away can you pump before you need to haul it to a portable tank?

Thanks for the great pics by the way. Looks like some happy cows in the shed.
deeredriver
Posted 11/30/2006 20:12 (#67610 - in reply to #67601)
Subject: Re: Draghose manure system pics

Alma NE
we used to custom spread never kept track of total gallons per year but good day could average about 250,000gal a day
depending on field size and how thick the slurry and far you pump it
how far can you pump also depends on thickness of slurry have heard of peoplke adding another pump along the line to get thurther distance . we had a positive displacement pump which would pump thick slurry and not take much power
could pump 25,000 gals an hr with a ford 7610 on the pump 100hp and not even know its there
we deep injected stubble . shallow injected grass fields and surface spread
sewage , farm manure , chicken blood, tannery waste , dairy waste and food waste
all year round

(injector (300 x 183).jpg)

(spreader bar (341 x 266).jpg)

(pump (436 x 319).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments injector (300 x 183).jpg (17KB - 537 downloads)
Attachments spreader bar (341 x 266).jpg (12KB - 470 downloads)
Attachments pump (436 x 319).jpg (18KB - 504 downloads)
Jim
Posted 11/30/2006 23:19 (#67686 - in reply to #67568)
Subject: RE: Draghose manure system pics - incorporation

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Great pictures, Gerard. Thank you.

A question for you: that material coming out of your nozzle looks pretty fluid - would it pass short piece of say 2" ID stainless tubing about 12" long?

Would it pass through the European injector like deeredriver posted, probably from the Netherlands?

I think our Pluribus unit would work well as a higher speed injection unit with a distributor as Deeredriver shows. Or our 3004 Fertilizer coulter if at lower rates. Our new Zipper closer would really seal it in. But you need to be able to move at least 5 mph I think.

What ground speed can you pull one of those hoses if the nozzle was not limiting?

I agree with Agboy that most US locations are going to require that to be placed below the soil surface and covered.

Thanks again for posting the pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/30/2006 23:23
chris dds
Posted 11/30/2006 23:39 (#67705 - in reply to #67568)

Wow. Here in south central Minnesota they would shut us down for using something like that! We used to pump manure through a irrigation gun with a cable wench -- which was the ultimate of easiness, but that has since been outlawed. It's pretty much mandated that all manure has to be injected if possible. Luckliy, we can still haul in the winter on flat fields, but that will probably soon end, too.

We're running a Cornell pump from Hydro engineering on a PTO drive -- we can get it up about 1200 gallons/minute on 6" feeder hose with 4.5 drag hose on the lagoon water. However on the concentrated stuff, we're putting on 4000 gal/acre and limited by the field speed and shoot for about 850-900 gal/min (which on our toolbar is about 4 mph).

You can also gain a lot of pumping capacity with a large primer pump. We are priming our pressure pump with a DODA vertical chopper pump -- the flow rate at the injector is unstable and fluctuates if the primer pump is going to slowly....speeding it up a little bit will add about 50-100 gal/min.

It surely would be nice to have our own air compressor rather than having to go get one from the rental center when we have to reset hoses!
Old Pokey
Posted 11/30/2006 23:58 (#67714 - in reply to #67610)
Subject: Wow! That would probably work quite well here.

How much does the deep inject disturb the top of the soil? How dry of soil can the shallow injector system penetrate?
deeredriver
Posted 12/1/2006 01:28 (#67743 - in reply to #67714)

Alma NE
not too much to be honest we did one field for a demo for a guy went in to a grazing field of grass that was probably a good 8 inches tall injected 4000gal/acre and the cows grazed right after we finished

as for getting it in the ground i wouldnt think there would not be a problem over here we injected right through the summer time right after a field was silaged (grass) just added more weights to push her down clay ground

i have a better pic too show too once i figure out how to scan it
and basicly you can inject any thickness of manure that the pump will handle we have pumped some stuff that looked like oatmeal but its not good for the pump or the hose

a centrifugal pump will pump farliy thick maure but if it gets too thick will just stop pushing it down the line
the positive displacement pump
( worm and stator) will just keep pushing it until something blows we have had pipes jump about 8 ft in the air when it does blow

Edited by deeredriver 12/1/2006 01:33
Chad
Posted 12/1/2006 07:03 (#67777 - in reply to #67686)

NW Iowa
Jim,
They recommend around under 4.0 mph. We run around 3.7-3.8, but that's also with a 30' toolbar. They say if you run much faster then that the hose will start to burn up.
Chad
Jon B
Posted 12/1/2006 07:36 (#67782 - in reply to #67568)

I've seen Gerards operation in person. For a guy in his situation, with 600 acres all in one block, this draghose system really is a good setup. His land is fairly flat, and has a good clay composition so runoff isn't that big of a worry, though the very sensitive Fish Creek is nearby. I think at times, this incorporating thing is overrated. The smell is there, but not as bad as people think. I think the cost of establishing an alfalfa crop is SO high, that the last thing a guy like Gerard wants to do is to do anything in the root zone.

Theres an outfit in our region as well, who uses a Terra-Gator, and now a Claas Xerion tanker unit - www.janag.ca - He is picking up a lot of customers with his system. Its a good system, but its not without its price as well - the Xerion and tanker ran him $650,000+ Cdn this year.
tommyw-5088
Posted 12/1/2006 09:02 (#67810 - in reply to #67782)
Subject: a question about the tractors ?

south Texas , York Rife Freemason
you have new blue tractors and new green tractors . do you do that to keep both dealers honest? good looking farming op. you have there.
Gerard
Posted 12/1/2006 10:23 (#67863 - in reply to #67601)
Subject: RE: Sure wish you'd come down here and spread.

Woodham, Ontario
The amount I can spread in a day varies a bit on the field size and shape and the numbe rof moves and the thickness of the manure. Usually it is around 500,000 to 650,000 US Gallons. We do have a flow meter on the pump because the goverment had a program where they would pay for improvements for manure handling and some other things to improve the environment. They paid for 90%! Now that we have it, we really like it, a lot easier to get a feel for how much you are putting on and you know the actual gallons that were put on. On the meter it usually indicates somewhere between 50,000 Gallons with 1.5KM of hose to 75,000 Gallons with 500M of hose. There are a lot of variables

This system is ideal for us. We have the barn in the middle of our 645 acres of workable land, with 1.5KM of hose I can reach everything except for 35 acres. We usally put extra fertilizer or solid manure on those 35 acres. We never use a portable tank. We were able to convince the township to let us put a culvert under the road so that we can run the hose under the road and reach 180 acres across the road from the barn. Another 100 acre farm is on the other side of another road, but a 12" pipe under that road allows us to run the hose to that field too.

This system is simple, yet uses similar components as the custom rigs. Big pumps, 6" supply hose and 5" drag hose. We have the same capacity as the custom guys that came here in the past, but now we can do it whenever we want to do it. Timeliness was an issue in the past with the regrowth of alfalfa. This was our 3rd year with the system and it is about paid for now, could not be happier.
Gerard
Posted 12/1/2006 11:00 (#67882 - in reply to #67686)

Woodham, Ontario
Our dairy manure is very fluid, the heifer manure is usually a bit thicker but if that is an issue we will just pump 100,000-300,000 gallons from the dairy barn to the heifer barn and mix it well. We use sawdust bedding. With sand bedding it may become harder.

Our manure would easily pass though a distributor and 2" pipes. It would probably pass through a fertilizer opener as well, but I don't know if the manure would stay in the cut made by a single disc opener. My speed at 40 ft wide is usually around 2.5-3.5 MPH Depends a lot on the flow.

I think a lot of custom applicators in europe also pump water with the manure to better flow through the grassland injectors.

A problem with trying to make strips or banding manure with a draghose is that you can't always drive in the same direction. If you look closer at my pictures you will notice that I am driving at a diagonal to the field. Those fields are rectangular, but with a soft drag hose you cannot pull the hose in huge arcs because it will roll and twist and pinch the hose, which can cause the hose to burst. You have to pul the hose from one corner to the oposite corner and go back and forth on the diagonal until you reach a corner. If you don't do that properly you will have problems.
With a hard hose you might be able to drive straight, but I don't know if you can cover the entire field. I can't think of a pattern that would work well. That hose is just always in the way.

(draghose.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments draghose.JPG (17KB - 567 downloads)
Gerard
Posted 12/1/2006 11:10 (#67889 - in reply to #67594)

Woodham, Ontario
Quicke is the most popular loader here. Don't really see any westendorf around here. AGCO, CNH, McCormick and probably some others now use Quicke loaders in their own colours.

The Quicke loaders are good, good visibility, good dumping angle, easy to take off. Just have to remember they are tractor loaders and you can't use them the same was as a payloader. The one on the 7210 was used for 3000 hours for breaking out haylage and corn silage and it shows. I don't think any other loader would have done better. The loader on the 8120 gets used mainly for packing bunksilos and has done very little feeding. Been very happy with it. I would recommend them over other brands of loaders.
Gerard
Posted 12/1/2006 11:20 (#67894 - in reply to #67810)
Subject: RE: a question about the tractors ?

Woodham, Ontario
Both dealers are about 15 minutes away and have treated us very well, whenever we need a tractor we approach both dealers and let them compete over a deal. When we bought the 7210 we also looked at a TM125 and when we bought the 7710 IVT we also looked at a TM175. Also have thought about a NH TG210 and a JD 7720. We look at features and price and decide from there. Sometimes one dealer is more eager to sell than the other. The common perception that green is always more expensive than others is false, we would not have JD tractors if that were the case. Dealing with both and sometimes the Case Dealer keeps all of them on their toes. We might also consider a Fendt for a next tractor.
Chad H
Posted 12/1/2006 11:49 (#67903 - in reply to #67568)

NE SD
Gerard, are those loaders made out of plate steel?? I thought that Quicke loaders were, but looking at their website, I think they're using tubes. We're needing another loader since we sold our bi-directional. Might have to put one on the 8220 although the powershift will be a pain in the butt.
Gerard
Posted 12/1/2006 12:43 (#67925 - in reply to #67903)

Woodham, Ontario
They are tubes just like most loaders. They are made with 2 C-shaped peices welded together.
Their online brochure shows how they are put together. I have not seen the newer loaders on a 8020 tractor.
http://www.quicke.nu/Downloads/PDF%20Brochures/Quicke_eng_www.pdf

If you do decide to get a loader and you want a joystick, then I recommend the Deere joystick. Gives you something to hold on to and the precision is amazing. I'll attach a pic.

Yeah, the transmission is not great for loader work... It takes some practice to get the hang of it and the 3rd reverse gear is too slow. I'm used to it now and it's okay. We have a 544H for loaderwork anyway.

(P1010002 (Medium).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P1010002 (Medium).JPG (69KB - 581 downloads)
Old Pokey
Posted 12/1/2006 22:03 (#68132 - in reply to #67863)
Subject: Sounds like a great setup.

I like the way you are setup. I think a few locals here could take a lesson or two from you. Though our governing agencies are a bit on the corrupt side, we have simular deals come around here for improvements.
Old Pokey
Posted 12/1/2006 22:05 (#68134 - in reply to #67743)
Subject: Ok, now that pump makes sences..

I was wondering what type of positive pump it could be. For some reason I was thinking it was a simular setup to a concrete pump.
plowboy
Posted 12/1/2006 23:45 (#68186 - in reply to #67903)

Brazilton KS
Chad, you're thinking of Miller.
plowboy
Posted 12/1/2006 23:48 (#68189 - in reply to #67782)

Brazilton KS
What is the advantage of the Xerion vs a purpose built machine?   I assume the cost is astronomical.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)