AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rental Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

RobW SCWI
Posted 5/13/2009 10:30 (#712088)
Subject: Rental Question

I have a quandry. One of my landlords is attempting to sign up his farm in the CReP for this crop year. We signed a 3 year lease last year with him. My question is this, should I let him? We have a contract for 2 more years. We offered to let him have the land that gets the highest payment and match the rates on the rest. He suddenly seems determined to take this land out as fears that there will not be any more CReP signups with the economy. Or should I hold him to his contract. I am inclined to let him go but I am getting pressure to hold his feet to the fire.

What do you think?

Rob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 5/13/2009 12:16 (#712210 - in reply to #712088)
Subject: Re: Rental Question

Sounds like you're gonna lose either way, but a contract is a contract. (Unless... he wants to compensate you for the option to break it ?) For a landowner that is willing to disregard a written lease, I doubt very much you could expect any consideration down the road for being "a good guy" about it.
Markwright
Posted 5/13/2009 18:58 (#712501 - in reply to #712210)
Subject: Re: I agree

New Mexico
make him live up to the contract.

Most likely it's he who had you sign his contract anyway.
jakescia
Posted 5/13/2009 20:14 (#712574 - in reply to #712501)
Subject: Re: I agree--- Yup, deal is a deal, whether you like it or not.

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Why was a three year contract established at the front end if it was not going to be honored---------by both parties????

The concept of "Ooops, I want a do-over because I was too short-sighted or arrogant to do my homework"............is just not appropriate anymore.

paul the original
Posted 5/13/2009 14:38 (#712336 - in reply to #712088)

southern MN
I would let him buy out the remaining 2 years. You do not need to make a killing on that, but you should get some few dollars for allowing breaking of the contract. Esp for the 2009 year, you likely had fert, seed, tillage, & perhaps forward contracts set in place for the 2009 year. That is worth something, not the moon, but something. Buying out the 2010 lease would be a pretty low value deal assuming you want this to be gone with as few hurt feelings as possible on either side.

Come up with a dollar value per year of what breaking the lease costs you; then say well I'll charge that for 2009, and only 1/4 of that for 2010 to give you a deal. That puts the other person on the defensive, already getting a deal, they have to come up with a better idea? Harder to negociate when you are already getting a deal; horse & car traders have been doing that for centuries.

Depends on what portion of your operation we are talking about, and how politics goes in your area, and so on. Lot of room for other ideas depending on the details, as always.

--->Paul
Don Kraft
Posted 5/13/2009 16:31 (#712412 - in reply to #712088)

I don't think he can do that without including you in the deal. To say nothing about the existing lease, the FSA will not allow him to terminate a lease to get into CRP. He would be required to share benefits with you. At least, that is the way it used to be.

On the other hand I seeded some low ground into CRP and signed off son my landowner could enjoy the $194 CRP payment. My reward was that I didn't have to farm that acreage as it was prone to flooding.
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 5/13/2009 16:56 (#712425 - in reply to #712088)
Subject: RE: Rental Question

Nevada, Iowa
There are a lot of factors to consider and many ways to handle it. The first thing that came to my mind was a continuation of the thread above. Ask yourself this question: If you had signed a lease with this guy for 3 years @ 400+ an acre cash rent and inputs were record high and grain prices were sub cost of production levels, would he be willing to renegotiate the remaining two years of the lease at a rate low enough to let you make a profit? Then ask yourself if you would have to suggest a lower rent or would he have initiated the talk out of concern for you. Just a thought...................
IH Driver
Posted 5/13/2009 18:13 (#712473 - in reply to #712088)

Northeast Arkansas
We've lost our land. Can't seem to make it with the little farmland the family owns. I need anger managment in this case.
Gerald J.
Posted 5/13/2009 22:20 (#712761 - in reply to #712088)

Its not all guaranteed he can get it into CRP, especially if its rentable crop land. CRP is supposed to be for land that shouldn't have been cropped in the first place. Good level land isn't accepted.

Gerald J.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)