AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on silage piles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ks8780
Posted 9/15/2015 16:22 (#4790492)
Subject: Educate me on silage piles

Jewell County KS
I need a little help on silage pile design. I have never had silage but Dad has had some trench silos in the past.

I have a guy coming the end of this week to chop my hailed milo. He looked at the feild and said it may make 10-12 ton /acre. That puts my pile at possilbly 1000 ton.

How big of a pile will I be dealing with ? Should I line up some round bales for sides ? End wall or drive thru ?

I have a spot that I could go 60' wide by 200+' long. I think I would like a narrower pile. I was thinking 30-40' would work better.

We have a big 4wd to pack with but it does not have a blade so we will be pushing with a couple of MFWD loader tractors, 120 and 140 hp. I have a pulltype 16' Icon grader blade for the 4wd. Will that be of any help at all ?

The trucks will have a 12 mile haul so that should give us a chance to keep up I hope.

If I put bale sidewalls should I line the bales with plastic. I know I should cover the pile but I have spent the last 30 years trying to get rid of all the tires that my father and grandfather used on there piles.

What other options do I have for covering/sealing the pile.

Where to find silage plastic in my area on a short notice. northern Kansas, southern Nebraska

Thanks for any advice....I need all the help I can get.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)