AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frost Damaged Corn Aftermath
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Maizeing
Posted 6/15/2015 17:39 (#4628294)
Subject: Frost Damaged Corn Aftermath

Ontario's middle east
This corn was damaged May 23rd. It has thinned the stand but it's still acceptable. It does seem to be growing but has lost vigour. It was 4 leaf when frozen so should be 8 leaf now. I snapped these from the sprayer the other day. Should of stopped and got some close ups but dry enough to spray is kind of a novelty that I don't like to waste. You can see in the one pic the line where it froze to. The corn that didn't freeze is well above my knees and starting to close the rows. I have always been told to still count the frozen leaves so if we lost 4 and have 4 now this small corn is 8 leaf corn. If that is the case, it would appear this is not going to be much of a corn plant. It appears to my uneducated eye that this corn has reverted to an early growth stage and is more like a 6 leaf corn. Does that make sense? Is that even possible? Will it just shorten the plant and not effect maturity much? What kinda yield penalty do think is involved here? It's not a huge amount of acres but this is some of the most productive land we own. Always something.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (202KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (152KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (223KB - 151 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)