AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Witching sticks...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

yoohoo
Posted 5/28/2009 09:17 (#725603)
Subject: Witching sticks...

NE IOWA/ SE SD
Looking at the old picture on Senior Citizen's site got me thinking of a funny story.

On a hot summer day my wife and I were continuing the clean up process of my grandpa's farm where we have lived for a couple of years. Prior to us living here, it was rented out and no one really cared about the yard or buildings. So, we were cleaning up a part of the grove grubbing out shrubs, thorns, and trees that were either dead or growing way to close together. Got another nice chunk that day and I was telling here a story that my grandpa had told me years ago. It seems four families of the original homesteader had settled on our farm because it was close to a river and had an artesian? well. The original well is still their. My grandpa said he remembers reading about it in the deed, but never knew exactly where the houses were until he was clearing ground for a new chicken coup and started hitting the old stone foundations.

So, I decided I wanted to try and figure out exactly where they were too. I grab a pair of witching sticks and walk back and forth through the trees. All of a sudden the sticks cross just like their supposed to, I go at a different angle and they do it again in the same area. I survey the area to find it was about a perfect square, four foot by four foot. I was really excited at my finding until I got to thinking a little harder and thought that would be an awfully small house. Then it dawned on me that it was a house.....AN OUTHOUSE! Called my grandma, and she confirmed it. Boy did I feel dumb, but my wife was loving every minute.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)