AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What sould I do about Sherriff Dept???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

citoriskeet
Posted 10/10/2010 20:43 (#1390604)
Subject: What sould I do about Sherriff Dept???

Central, IL
I'll give a quick run down here. I am on a local fire dept that serves 90 square miles and is split by two counties. We have a good and reliable fire dept as do other area departments. In one county there is a sheriff that has been in office two years and has set his own adgenda and protocols.

The problem is when a call comes through the sheriff dept they will send a deputy to the scene to verify the call before calling the fire dept or ambulance. With the size of our county that deputy could be an hour or more away before he is on scene. Typicly there are only two deputys on duty during the day and only one at night. This is really starting to bother me along with the other departments.

Earlier this year a young girl rolled her car into a corn field and was hurt. Nothing life threatening but she did recieve a broken wrist and lots of cuts and brusies. When the call came into the sheriff department they sent their deputy out to verify. It was 45 minutes before he was on scene. After the deputy verified the wreck the sheriff department paged out the local fire dept and ambulance taking another 15 minutes to respond. She was in that car hurt and bleeding for over an hour on a 90 degree day before we got her out.

The next day there was a similar wreck with the same outcome. This time the sheriff himself responded. Afterwards there were words exchanged between the sheriff and officers of the fire dept to no avail. He has his dispatchers trained not to send fire or rescue until there is a deputy on scene. We have had several discussions with other department trying to get him to change his protocols. Nothing has changed to date and is very frustrating.

I am sure the public is not aware of this situation or they would be up in arms. We were always trained about the golden hour and time is of the essense in life threating situations. To me its just a messy lawsuit waiting to happen. Any thoughts on this would be appriciated.

Edited by citoriskeet 10/10/2010 20:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)