AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Answer to prayer or just good luck?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hwdcne
Posted 10/31/2010 18:44 (#1415997)
Subject: Answer to prayer or just good luck?

Soutwest Ks.

I was inspired by Pine Trees thread "As Good as it Gets" on Crop Talk.  Read it if you haven't, you will be glad and then the follow up thread "The Rest of the Story" also by him.  I also feel very grateful for this wonderful country, beautiful wife and family and the ability to make a living farming.  (Even though I do complain at times)  I wanted to relate a recent experience and see if any of you have had these moments.

A little less then a month ago I attended a farm auction North of Brewster, KS which is roughly 155 miles NW of my farm.  I wound up holding up my hand too long and bought a 35' fallow master.  Now to get it home.  My biggest pickup is a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 and I need to pull it.  They wanted equipment moved within 2 wks.  Have been extremely busy, just couldn't take the time to make the trip back.  I finally found a little break, we had .60 of rain which I knew would keep me out of the field for a day or so.  Knowing the ride home would be very slow, probably only 25 mph or so, I decided to head out and spend night in Colby, KS intending to pick up unit in morning.  I woke up a 6:00 the next morning, looked out the window, it was raining!  Now what?  I'm 130 miles from home and I want to pull this implement home today as I had already over extended the dead line for equipment removal  I headed west on I-70  knowing I had another 25 miles or so out to the auction site.  The rain more or less steadily hitting my windshield.  Was pitch dark with low clouds.  About 10 miles from the pickup site, I almost despaired.  There is no way that I can get this machine out of the field it is parked in with it raining and pitch dark, also knowing that I would have 35-50 miles of remote gravel road to travel yet that day. 

I finally decided the only thing to do was pray about the situation.  I normally feel that God isn't particularly interested in my selfish ambitions but I do feel like He is interested in my life. This country is extremely dry, so I didn't want to pray that God would totally stop the rain, how selfish, but perhaps I could just ask that he would hold the rain back for an hour or so.  I could go out in the field and retrieve the implement and be down the road.  I prayed.  Two or three miles from the site, the road dried up.  I pulled into the dry field in the pitch dark and hooked this big implement to my Toyota.  Everything worked fine, tires were aired up, pickup seemed to pull it fairly well, however that wing sticking out on the right side was very difficult to cope with in the dark.  I had to straddle the center line to keep the right implement tire on the road.

Drove for about 20 miles on pavement.  The rain started falling again!  I knew that within another 15 or 20 miles I would hit a long stretch of gravel road and I knew that I would not be able to make that work if it continued to rain.  Shortly before I got to the gravel road, the rain stopped again.  To make a long story short, I was able to pull the implement all the way home through some tremendous desolate country with no hiccups whatever.  I arrived home by 2-2:30.  I do believe that God does answer prayer, however many times not the way we have in mind.  Have a good day!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)