AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

You have a WHAT?????????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 6/21/2009 16:56 (#752742)
Subject: You have a WHAT?????????

Blooming where I am planted!
Which is what people would say when I told them I had a duck as an indoor pet.

Back in college, I and a friend went to one of those trail-riding places and rode horses. Afterwards, our guide gave us a tour of the barns and there were a couple hundred little ducklings in a pen. She said they were raising them for meat and felt sorry for them. So she picked one up and handed it to me and said, "Would you like a duck?" Of course I said yes, it was cute and I love animals. She told me to put the duck under my jacket as we left.

I had no idea what to feed her so stopped in a feed store. They sold me some duck grower, cracked corn, and oyster shell, and told me what proportions to use now, and how to thin it out more as she got older, with the cracked corn. I built the cage that you see out of discarded pallets and hardware cloth.

Beep loved to play in the bathtub. I'd take Beep everywhere with me, to picnics in the park, on walks, etc. She was imprinted on me and would follow me anywhere. She'd even lie on her back in my lap so I could trim her nails.

Beep laid over 300 eggs in her lifetime and lived 6 years. She was my first bird and a real sweetheart.

I know that raising poultry for meat is not the same as having them as pets, nonetheless, I do enjoy birds in general, and if I end up on a farm, would like to learn how to process the birds raised for meat.

Edited by amsunshine 6/21/2009 17:03

(Beep.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Beep.jpg (36KB - 188 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)