AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Indianajones
Posted 10/1/2010 22:19 (#1381046)
Subject: What would you do?

Got a call this morning at the shop from one of my best friends. I could tell from the outset he was very concerned and uneasy about this call. Seems this morning, he was going down a busy highway near the intersection with the road Me and my Dad live on. Ahead he saw My dad's straight truck pull up to the intersection, stop and then pulled right out in front of him. He got on the brakes and had slowed to under 20mph before dad cleared the intersection.
He told me he debated calling me for a while but decided he would want to know if it had been his father. I agreed that the biggest concern was if another driver that wasn't paying attention or a loaded semi hadn't been able to stop as quickly, it would have been a disaster.
Now my dad will be 75 this year, works everyday on the farm and gets around pretty good. Like a lot of old men though, he can't turn his head very far and I know this contributed to this situation. Also, My Dad , like a lot of old farmers, refuses to believe that he cannot do everything he used to do and just as well as ever.
I thought about this all day and stewed over the fight I knew it was going to be when brought up.
When I got home, I asked him who he pulled out in front of this morning? His answer was "NOBODY". I explained about the call I got and he claimed that it never happened. He pulled to the intersection, looked, nobody was coming and crossed the highway. He demanded to know who called me and claimed they made it all up.
We have all missed a car when pulling out or had a near miss while driving. I understand that but his driving has gotten worse and the issue of not being able to look to the side is scary. He has never had the required DOT medical card (claimed he didn't need one, "they never check if pulled over") but went to get one this fall at his annual physical. Doctor wouldn't give him a medical card(big surprise) and he claimed she was too busy to fill out the paperwork.
I don't want him to get hurt or hurt someone else. He doesn't listen to me and this kinda thing always causes a fight.
Sorry for the long post.
INDY
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)