AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need opinions on balers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 8/10/2017 17:02 (#6179027)
Subject: Need opinions on balers

SC Wisconsin
So I've been planning on a new baler for a while now, asked on here some and got a few opinions. I've been running dad's gehl 1400 he bought new in 1976 as my dry hay baler, hiring one neighbor to make 4x4 baleage bales from sorghum sudangrass, and hiring another to bale 5x6 straw. I know I want a 4x6 silage baler to cover all the different things I'll bale (maybe even some cornstalks next year) and ive narrowed it down to a Kuhn 2290 or the new Holland roll belt 460. I like the feeding system on the Kuhn, but there aren't many around and I have heard a few issues of bearing failure and starter rolls breaking. I know the BR series of new hollands had a lot of issues, but they seem to be good baler with the roll belt. I ha e heard of issues with the older ones plugging in the pickup with heavy or wet stuff, but I'm hoping a silage special will not have that issue. Dealers are fairly close with both.

As far as Vermeer or Deere, Deere is just a little too pricey for me and idont understand why you would put net on the back. There is very little Vermeer around here so dealer support is lacking and the pickup doesn't seem wide enough to bale 100 bushel wheat windrows out of a combine with a 30'+ plus head.

I will be buying new, and also intend on buying a carted wheel rake ( either the speedrake from kuhn or the procart from new Holland) at the same time, so I'm hoping that will help me get a little bit better of a deal. Sorry for the novel, just looking for opinions on the 2 as I plan to start getting prices soon.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)