AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Followup to Bull Puyll Style Hitch for Grian Cart Weigh Pin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rollig_sr
Posted 6/3/2017 10:38 (#6051759)
Subject: Followup to Bull Puyll Style Hitch for Grian Cart Weigh Pin

So after much calling around and internet searching I did find a ball and socket style hitch for my cart. Unverferth claims they can't get new ones like this anymore. I think I know why they stopped using them. The dealer had a Parker 938 sitting on their lot with this style of hitch so we swapped them for it. Once I got it home I looked at it closer and see that the welds are cracked on the ring that holds the ball retaining ring on top. I could probably weld it up better but I got to thinking and I have a feeling this hitch will bind when it pivots. Unlike the bull pull which has a larger socket and uses a heavy stepped bushing to hold the hitch up off the drawbar allowing it to pivot freely, this one had the ball flush with the bottom of the hitch and no bushing. So the hitch will sit flat on the drawbar until it needs to pivot. When it does the ball will need to ride up the hitch pin and may bind. I can't make a bushing due to how tight the clearance around the ball is. 2" pin and a 2 1/4" OD bushing would be really tight. I think I might just say forget it and get an oversized cast hitch and just let it slop around. Does anyone have this style of hitch who can comment on these concerns?

Previous thread...

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=709091&posts=9#M6037276

(bp hitch.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bp hitch.jpg (48KB - 85 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)