AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best round baler for the money
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sodbuster35
Posted 1/23/2014 07:29 (#3627924)
Subject: Best round baler for the money

WC Illinois/SE Iowa
This should probably be posted in machinery, but I wanted to get the opinon from guys that not only use them, but also then feed the bales too.

I may be in the market for a round baler next season after I see how a new hay venture is going to turn out for me this year. I will be looking for a used round baler and want to be able to make five foot bales. This hay venture will be irrigated grass/alfalfa mixed hay and I plan to round bale the first cutting. The remainder of the cuttings will be small squares, but I already have that covered. This will be all comercially grown hay as I have other hay ground to suit my needs.

My question is what is a decent, reliable round baler that you are happy with the final product staying tight and not falling apart if having to transport it long distances? I want one that will net wrap, not just twine tie.

I had access and ran a Case IH (Hesston) baler until this last spring when it caught fire. I will say we were not dissapointed that it is gone. We hated that baler. You could not even think of baling even the slightest damp hay without it wraping in the belts, and you always had to be VERY slow when starting a bale. It was a twine tie only which was ok at the time because we had a shrink wraper, but it has been sold, hence the desire for net wraping. (As of now they will be stored outside)

We have local JD(expensive), Vermeer(I know guys like them), NH(know nothing about them), and a Hesston(still a Hesston) dealers in the area. Which one should I pursue and what model numbers should I be asking about? Oh ya, if just one cutting per season, I will put about 300 bales thru it.

TIA

Edited by sodbuster35 1/23/2014 07:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)