AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TY Drops, my version of homemade Y drops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 7/10/2016 17:25 (#5403581)
Subject: TY Drops, my version of homemade Y drops

Morris, IL
I've been working on these off and on for while now, changed designs few times, pretty happy with where they are at right now. They could be better, but for my little 6500 about all i can handle i think. Boom is nothing special on this and weight is a major issue, front end is already light. I can feel them back there as is. Only setup as skip row, i think that will work fine for my needs. I tried them other day in some 9-10' tall corn and seemed to work really well. I want to get them perfected for next year, going to run few acres as a test. I tried my best to destroy them with no luck, but did have problem with a pair of them getting into hydraulics when folding i had to take care of. Kind of a pain to fold as 4 of them need to be lifted up to avoid hitting wheels or dragging.

They are made of 3/4" Sch. 40 PVC so very light weight, flexible instead of breakable. The Y is a 90 side outlet they call it, get sch. 40 not furniture grade. I tried few different setups on the bottom and just a 12-15" piece seemed like the best, it needs to be smooth to avoid catching. I started with 15" which seemed to work but i got in some gooseneck corn and the 12" worked better. Not 100% sure yet if i'll have to go back to 15" for better results in standing corn yet or not. The hose is just 1/2" sprayer hose, it fits perfectly. I cut them 4', just seems the longer the better they work. At the end of the 12-15" piece i just slit the PVC and use a hose clamp to tighten the hose. Inside i've ran 3/8" tubing, one going to each side of the Y. Oh and the mount is 1" heavy wall conduit, threaded stuff, it's perfect fit ID to 3/4" PVC OD.

Halfway planning to cut my sidedress Nh3 rate back 50-75lb and Y drop another 30-90 depending on the year, maybe nothing in really dry year. If i can buy wholesale UAN this past year is the same price or a bit cheaper then retail NH3 and i can save on the UAN starter as well. Seems like they are a 5mph tool for me and my sprayer, I ran them up to 7.5mph but seem much more steady at that speed, i can still cover lot of ground 60' wide at 5mph. This sprayer is really turning into an all season machine, from spraying pre's and post to Y drop and fungicide even for smaller operation seems i'm putting lot of time in it.

Thanks for all the help along the way, hope someone else can make use of this. Ty

Edited by NEILFarmer 7/10/2016 17:42

(IMG_0688.jpg)

(IMG_0689.jpg)

(IMG_0690.jpg)

(IMG_0691.jpg)

(IMG_0687.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0688.jpg (287KB - 996 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0689.jpg (117KB - 784 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0690.jpg (322KB - 895 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0691.jpg (150KB - 736 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0687.jpg (158KB - 806 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)