AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stalk Chopper advice and recommendations needed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tim4870
Posted 2/28/2011 23:25 (#1642997)
Subject: Stalk Chopper advice and recommendations needed

Southern MN
Looking to purchase my first stalk chopper now that the mold board plow has been parked. I plant with a 12 row planter and harvest with a 6 row corn head. I'm looking for something used and economical for a smaller younger farmer who's not affriad to put a little labor into equipment.

So first question is should I match the stalk chopper width to the corn head width? If so, why? There seem to be more 20' choppers for sale than 15' ones, and 20' would get the job done faster with less fuel, that's my main reason for considering 20' vs. 15'.

Second question is 3pt or pull type? Things I'm considering are ease of hookup, weight on my 2wd tractors, and ease of turning around. If I go with 15', perhaps 3pt would make the tighter turns easier and less painful on the pto shaft. If I go with a 20', perhaps a pull type might be a better option since turns are wider and 20' is a lot of weight on my 2wd tractors.

I'm thinking about a Balzer, Alloway, or Loftness brand. Side slicer knives.

Am I missing anything? Any advice or recommendations you have for me? What are your likes/dislikes with your choppers?

Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)