AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rollers (Pic Heavy)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MCatSHF
Posted 6/23/2013 22:11 (#3170889)
Subject: Rollers (Pic Heavy)

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello All

Here's some pics of a set of rollers that I built 10 years ago now. I bought a 25' section of pipeline pipe at an auction sale & cut in half to make 2 rollers. They overlap a bit so I cover about 24' with them. I borrowed the idea of pulling one behind the other from a neighbour that built a set many years ago that I used to rent off of him & them his widow after he passed away. I always wanted one of my own & when the pipe came up for auction close to home, I had to buy it & build my project.

One flaw in my neighbour's design was the hooking & unhooking from transport position to field position. Field position really wasn't that bad because you could see the hitch straight behind you from the tractor seat. But transport position was the killer. You could not see it from the tractor seat because it was bocked from view by the roller. These rollers are not something that you can just give a little push this way or that way when you got close & drop the pin in. You had to be dead on.

I thought of ways of using winches & hydraulic cylinders to make the job easier, but decided on this method of keeping it simple. I have to unhook the tractor to change the lead roller from transport to field position, but not the trailing roller. Just drive ahead a bit & jackknife a bit so that the swinging hitch goes over centre & then back up.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)