AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where to find a steel bridge beam load chart?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 6/14/2017 21:35 (#6071683)
Subject: Where to find a steel bridge beam load chart?

Leesburg, Ohio
We are replacing an old bridge this summer on one of our farms. The span is 25 feet. I need to know what size beams to use on what spacing to make it safe for loaded semis to cross.

We have taken loaded semis across it for years with no problems, but when replacing the wood bridge plank deck last year, we discovered the web on the end of many of the beams was rusted away. Made be a bit leery of crossing with heavy loads.

Right now it has W16x36 beams (nominal size 16"x7"x7/16"flangex5/16"web, weight 36lbs./ft). They are spaced 2' on center, and X-braced every 8-10', and about 2' on each end of the beams rest on a level concrete abutment. The open span is 25', but the beams are almost 29' long, including the length that rests on the abutments. The deck is 3"x10" rough-sawn oak bridge plank. It is 20' wide, so it takes two ten foot plank to make up the width of the deck. One half of the bridge width (the west 10' lane) has a center pier supporting the beams, but I will probably use the same size beams all across the entire width.

The current design lets the heavy plank spread the wheel loads partially to adjacent beams.

Every search I do on the web just takes me to more search engines, or beam calculators that cost $40 or more to download.

Where can I find loading charts?

Edited by KDD 6/14/2017 21:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)