AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Budget sweet corn planter - Educate me please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rollinsorchards
Posted 2/15/2018 14:47 (#6579894)
Subject: Budget sweet corn planter - Educate me please.

Garland Maine
For many years we have been using a worn out JD 290 to plant sweet corn for our farmstand. Of course this antique requires nearly perfect planting conditions to open and cover a furrow, so timing for good emergence and a steady supply of sweet corn over the season has been quite challenging. Also the planting depth is quite inconsistent, which leads to variation in ripening along the row.

So with our growth we are looking at doing 5 acres of sweet corn this year in 10 plots of a half acre or so each. We also plant peas and string beans with the 290 which is simple to change plates on.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering or fabricating some things. I have considered looking for just row units and building from there. I also live in Maine, so shipping from the corn belt could get pricey. I am also on a shoestring budget here and am trying to get by without spending $5 for every $1 of product I sell.

So what do I look for? I don't know which models of which brands would do what I want for a reasonable value. It is hard to shop for something when I don't really know what I am looking for. Any advice or opinions are welcome.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)