AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

underground water valve ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 4/14/2014 09:05 (#3815012)
Subject: underground water valve ideas

I have a friend I am going to help dig up a burst water line, It is near his 4 ft frost free hydrant, which is outside his barn by 3 or 4 ft, ( it happened this winter and he was able to shut the supply off at his house for now ),anyhow he is going to quit feeding steers for now, and from this hydrant at the bottom where his water feeds it, it "Tee's" and goes on to his cattle waterer in his barn ( which is 3 or 4 ft away, but inside the barn ).

Is there a way or how do you guys install a valve that he could cut off the water supply in the ground ( 4 ft down ) to his cattle waterer ?

I was thinking of having a plastic 4" or 6" piece of pvc pipe come up to ground level and have a threaded cap over the top. This pipe would be notched out for water lines and to fit over and around the valve, the threaded cap could be opened up and use a fabbed up tool I could make to turn the valve on from ground level when he wants to, if / when he decides to feed cattle again, instead of digging ground back up and hooking in again...
Then if I plumbed a tee on the waterer side of the installed valve, attach a permanent hose or pipe to this and bring it up inside the standpipe where we could use air to blow out the waterer line from ground level, when the waterer valve would be shut off.

What kind of valve would you recommend ? I was thinking brass ball valve, I think the water line is either 1/2 or 3/4" pipe

We probably would have to stuff this pipe with insulation so the cold would not travel down the standpipe and freeze things in the future ??

Any help, or ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rog
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)