AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? on 500 gal l.p. tank
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 12/20/2022 03:00 (#9993590 - in reply to #9992784)
Subject: RE: ? on 500 gal l.p. tank

West Union, Illinois

Mod5H - My shop boiler is 150k btu ... house... 60-80k.
OK so 230,000 Btu load.  Yes, there might be something to be concerned about if it get below 0° F  Here's a page with a vaporization chart (https://www.tarantin.com/blog/propane-101/propane-tank-sizing) or just look at the copy below.

At 0° a 500 gallon tank at 20% capacity can vaporize 266,400 Btu.  No worry

But at -10° a 500 gallon tank can only vaporize 220,000 Btu.

You might want to consider a separate 500 for the shop.  Then you are good down to around 25%.

We can discuss variables and possibilities forever and not get a definite answer.  You will probably be OK but to cover yourself it might be a good idea to ask your LP guy to top off the tank. 

Oh, and the other charts on the page I linked?  I spent a couple days in school on just those line sizing charts when I was a lot younger and still don't claim to fully understand them

If you look for an LP tank you'll find you need to adjust your balance sheet.  Yours is worth a whole lot more than you thought.  Tanks are just outrageous.

Be VERY CAREFUL when buying a used tank.  Some old tanks are rated at 200 PSI instead of 250 ( we used to call them butane tanks).  I was just in a discussion on a Facebook group for propane service and delivery folks about that.  A question was raised by someone whose company would not fill a 200 PSI rated tank.  Yours may not care, but it is a consideration.

If a tank does not have a legible data plate is is not legal to fill it. (see https://www.propane101.com/manufacturersnameplate.htm).

Repairs usually involve machined brass which looks like gold for a very good reason.  As an example here is an external relief valve.  I've not researched what it fits but I'm guessing a 1000 gallon tank.  It's only $429.99.(gasp!)  A multivalve with fill, vapor, and service valve  could be even more.  You can quickly get a lot of money in a cheap tank.

Hope I haven't confused or scared you.  There's a lot of misunderstood information out there, like the guy that said an 80% full tank had less vaporization capacity than one at 50%

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)