AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Steiger C1280 Questions....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Doug W
Posted 12/30/2009 12:25 (#993465)
Subject: Steiger C1280 Questions....

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Yet another Steiger question if you'll indulge me....

Looking at a Steiger C1000-C1280 that's in our area. Its essentially the same tractor as our existing ST270, but 10+ years newer - lots more creature comforts.

...What I've been able to learn so far is: Newer series of 3306 Cats use direct injection vs. "cup" injection - claimed to be simpler/more efficient by Cat mechanics.

- Tractor has 10 spd Transmission, with 2 speed powershift. Assume 10 speed is Roadranger similar to our existing Steiger, which I take to be a good thing

- Nebraska reports show the clutch as a wet multi-disk clutch - am only familiar with the Spicer's in the 2 Steigers we have...

Would anyone have any experience/opinions on the Wet clutch/powershift in these tractors?

Tractor has a mechanical(I think) 1000 PTO - is an advantage to use since with the hi/lo shift the tractor could function as a combine tractor as well for us.... Any experience with PTO's in this vintage of Steiger? In this neck of the woods tractors with wet clutches (JD's) were favoured at one time since it was felt that the wet clutches would take being "ridden" through short heavy spots - would this hold on the Steigers as well?

Hours on the tractor are fairly high - 8000 plus - but it seems well maintained -

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)