AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

750 drill rebuild and closer options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 12/29/2009 23:13 (#992878 - in reply to #992611)
Subject: RE: 750 drill rebuild and closer options

Thanks for the business on the Needham V8 Wheels and Martin Narrow Gauge Wheels, they have both been very popular items this year.

I spend a lot of time in no-till fields each year, testing and evaluating different configurations on JD single disc seeders. The photo below shows a JD 750 with a different firming wheel, gauge wheel or closing wheel assembly on each opener.

Based upon the side by side comparisons I have made across different soils, I can tell you that most of the aftermarket options perform better than the factory Deere cast closing wheel, especially those with an interrupted outer profile (which close the slot better and also bounce +/- 20% less).

Together with engineering staff from Martin Industies, we tried many different material thicknesses, diameters, tooth spacing’s and tooth profiles before we concluded the 20 point crumber wheel performed best across a wide range of soils and soil moistures.

As a result of the deficiencies within the factory 50 series cast wheel/bearing/seal configuration, you will also see much longer service life when you select the aftermarket options with good bearing/hub designs. This will also save you having to buy a 60/90 series arm upgrade. More details on what we have to offer are contained within this link of our website:

http://www.needhamag.com/innovative_product_sales/john_deere_and_ca...

If in doubt try one of each on your soils/conditions, that’s what a lot of guys do and they tell me how they other's performed when they call back to order ours.

Better still try one of each (like we did) when planting into a ryegrass cover-crop, that’s the ultimate performance test which determines the interactions of weight, material width and tooth profile (see the 2nd image below).

The other consideration is your 15% conventional till ground. Wider wheels (with down-pressure released) should stay up on top better, rather than a narrow wheel sinking into looser soil environments.

Phil N

http://www.needhamag.com

Edited by Phil N 12/29/2009 23:26

(750 test drill with different closing wheels.jpg)

(20 point crumber wheel in ryegrass cover crop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 750 test drill with different closing wheels.jpg (70KB - 249 downloads)
Attachments 20 point crumber wheel in ryegrass cover crop.jpg (70KB - 237 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)