AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diesel pickups up north?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/27/2009 23:31 (#989524 - in reply to #989350)
Subject: RE: Diesel pickups up north?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

My 2 cents:

Southern diesels often have a lot of problems when suddenly operated in below zero temps up north.

I would drain any drain points as noted above. In fact, replacing your fuel filter might be a good idea before you leave. No matter what fuel you put in it will be thicker than in MS and more difficult to get through an older partially blocked filter.

You won't find #1 fuel anywhere until you get into north country, probably N IA or S MN. Seems like most places don't want to carry it anymore.

In lieu of #1 I would add a full bottle (1/2 gal?) of Howe's to your tank then fill it up with #2 from a place that sells a lot of diesel (less likely to have water in it).

I don't want to start an argument here because discussing diesel fuel additives is just one notch below discussing race and religion....however I like Howe's over PS because you can use a higher percent of Howe's whereas PS should not be used in too high a concentration. OR so I have been told by knowledgeable people.

Most important however as you get farther north is a winter front. I would suggest bringing a piece of cardboard which you can tuck behind the grill but ahead of the radiator etc which covers the whole front of the vehicle except cut about a 12" diameter circle right abot inline with the center of the engine fan. Put this in as you get into Iowa or thereabouts.

Better yet, buy a for real winter front which has flaps you can open and close. As someone mentioned, watch your engine temp gage.But with a 12" hole in the center you should be ok.

Don't forget to take it out when you hit maybe MO on the way south again.

Even with good fuel and a new filter, on the interstate in a below zero wind fuel can STILL gel or near gel limiting power maybe when you need it if you don't limit the cold air ciming in the front. Look at northern OTR trucks and you will see they ALL have some type of winter front, cloth or louvered metal.

Have a safe trip. 

Jim at Dawn

PS you may or may not have a block heater. if you stop for the night at the northern end park so the wind is not blowing in the grill, bring a power cord and plug it in at night. If no block heater you may want to just let it run during stops.

Edited by Jim 12/27/2009 23:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)