AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plasma cutters and do you ever just buy something .............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 12/23/2009 13:06 (#981696 - in reply to #981625)
Subject: Re: Plasma cutters and do you ever just buy something .............

Brazilton KS
We had an ESAB 1000. It ate a lot of consumables. Got talked into trading for a Hypertherm 1250 with the promise that consumables would last longer (don't) and cost less (well, only if you buy consumables for both machines from our welding supplier...online there is no big difference in cost) Still use a lot more parts then I think is acceptable. It costs more to run the plasma then the torch, but it's a lot more productive for some jobs. Other jobs favor the torch. If you spend the same amount of money on tips for the torch it will do a lot nicer job then when you use the same tip for two years ;)

So, answering the question....the plasma is nice to have, but it's not as wonderful as I thought it would be before we got one. With the amount of bin and leg work that we have been doing, plus stainless fertilizer equipment, it's definitely worth having, but it's best to consider what you are going to do before you just grab it. It's not the "go to machine" I thought it would be. The applications it is right for are more limited then I thought they would be, and a good torch is still very necessary and probably used more then the plasma in a general welding shop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)