AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Winter wheat or spring wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

wildcat1
Posted 12/17/2009 09:17 (#971326 - in reply to #971245)
Subject: RE: Winter wheat or spring wheat

South Central Kansas
Wheat seeded at normal rates needs to be able to tiller to yield well, thus they need to be planted at a time they can emerge and grow some tillers. Planting this late may not let it tiller at all, so I'm going to kick the seeding rate up to 120 lbs or more.

Not sure what varieties you plant, but I'm planting Fuller, a variety well adapted to SC Kansas. If I didn't have the seed already cleaned and treated and some liquid fertilizer on hand I need to get on with it, I might not be drilling it. On the other hand, I really need to get this field back to wheat.

If I get a stand okay, if I don't I'll go back to cotton or soybeans. I will have lost my seed and time. Late planted wheat can do well here, depending on the weather the rest of the winter. I doubt that this wheat will come up till February, so it won't have many tillers. If we get a warm spell here, it may come up in January. Vernalization shouldn't be a problem, I have seen winter wheat overseeded in late February here to help fill in some bad spots.

Edited by wildcat1 12/17/2009 09:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)