AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats your electricity rate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 12/15/2009 08:40 (#967291 - in reply to #966504)
Subject: Our rate changes by the hour

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

When we moved into the house we now live in, the meter had a special feature that allowed lower rates from 9pm to 9am (cheaper than daytime rate), and we kept it, after discussing the program with a friendly Ameren representative.  We checked back with that rep six months later, found we had saved several hundred dollars by adjusting our use.  Wife does wash on weekends and holidays and weekends, for example, when the rate is usually around $.03 kilowatt.

We found out a couple of months ago that Ameren had dropped that program, and we had been paying $.07 or so per K.  The rate changes with the seasons, higher in summer than winter, currently is around $.05 per K.

I signed on to another program available that changes rate per hour.  A link below gives the rates per day, they change every day, usually cheaper on holidays and weekends.  If you look at the rates history, you can get an idea of savings involved. 

Ameren changed our meter, and on December 16, we go on the new changing rate.  I am very curious how it will affect our bill, which had gone up a great deal after we lost the previous program.

Ameren also has a program that "holds you hand", for $3 per month you get e-mail alerts on when rates will be cheaper.  I figure it doesn't matter, as according to the history of the variable rates in the link below, even the highest rate is cheaper than we pay now.

Wife doesn't do too much to change her habits to save on electric cost, but as another example, she sets the dishwasher so it starts and goes through the drying cycle during the cheapest rate, rather than just push to start.

All the rates are cheaper at night, so with our electric heat, the lowest cost is when the temperature is lowest and requires the most electricity to heat the house.

Anybody with an Ameren company is elgible for these rates, I urge you to check into them if you are an affiliated company.

Our old REA rates were very high, I didn't realize that until we moved off the farm.

https://www2.ameren.com/RetailEnergy/realtimeprices.aspx

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)