AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking to the Agronomists here...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

rodrod5
Posted 12/15/2009 01:34 (#967145 - in reply to #966472)
Subject: here has been my experience

Lubbock, Texas
most of the farmers I know either never went to college.....went to college for something else and went back to farming after getting the degree or went to college and then back to farming before the degree

they don't care who is trying to sell them something or where they went to school they just care if the product works for the price paid

all these farmers did respect me because they were nice people and I guess I proved myself and the research I was doing at the time and the info I was offering...they would have respected me just the same if I did the same job with no degree and while not going to school for another

there is no longer a such thing as a masters educated agronomist that is not basically trained in lab techniques and expected to know them and practice them......setting up planters, plowing, fixing seeder boxes, running the plot combine.......that is for college kids from the farm working for beer money.......it does not matter to any university any longer that you desire field experience and to go to work in industry mainly in the field......if you desired that you would have left school at the BS level and gone to work in industry.....where you would eventually stall out, go into sales (where the easy money is made), or......GO INTO THE LAB!

in other words most university researchers and most research companies have little use, don't pay a lot for, and don't really respect your willingness to get dirty or work in the sun.......that is not a profit center for them......that is the annoying labor management aspect that gets in the way of whipping up some new neat innovation in the lab that should just transfer flawlessly out into the field......if it doesn't it is probably the fault of the college kids and labor in the field not following specific instructions

you say you are not that worried about the money....but you ask about the money....that is ok the stuff I like to do all seems to cost money....I will never say sorry for that

but I know for a fact that "working in the field" is just that to most companies and definitely 100% just that to any research university....just labor......doing something to help the profit centers (in the labs) make what ever it is they came up with work......then the jerks in sales will get to go on a big trip to Hawaii or Puerto Rico to see the seed plots and get plastered at the comp bar while the lab monkeys worry about lab funding cuts

there are no working in the field agronomist any more......Norman Borlaug and his generation are passing......now it is a pissy, chunky, girl urban libtard girl that calls a planter the seed thingy and wears wool mittens as work gloves.......or a city guy that drives a prius and wonders if you can do anything to make the F250 diesel smoke less with a tune up.......but hey both made straight As on all their classes especially the social indoctrination ones

don't worry starving masses your bread bowl will be soon over flowing < roll eyes >
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)