AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Planter poll
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

westmo
Posted 12/13/2009 19:06 (#964719 - in reply to #964504)
Subject: Re: Twin Row Planter poll

45 miles southeast of KC
I've been on twin rows for three years. First I modified a Kinze 3000 (6-30), ran for two years and last spring redid a Kinze 3500 (8-30). Corn works great as long as you get a good stand and the ear height stays up. On some spots this year where the stand was thin and ear set low to the ground I was losing lots of corn. Still working out the kinks but for now I'm still sticking with it. I am planting 32-34000 with no lodging. No hard data on yields but when it works I'm convinced of a bump. Put a yield monitor on the combine this year to check but my test strips failed.
For beans the twins really shine, at least here in west central MO. The plants bush more, don't get as tall and set more nodes. The leaf area seems a lot greater too. Cutting at a slight angle and they feed in fine. I think I get more yield bump on beans than corn. I cut with a 20' 1020 head and can go with the rows which works good in short beans as they help push in better. On tall beans the angle seems to help lay them into the head.
I considered 20" rows before I switched but the cost of another corn head steered me toward twins.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)