AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Planter poll
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 12/13/2009 18:37 (#964657 - in reply to #964489)
Subject: Re: Twin Row Planter poll

We looked at twins before deciding to go with 20s for corn & beans. Ths is our first year so we are still learning some things. With beans we are pleased with our yields. They compare to neighbors' yields in 15s & drilled. In the past we have done test strips comparing 15s to 30s & saw no significant yield reduction / increase based on row width. So far haven't seen a disease problem with the 20s but then we didn't seen any with 15s which we planted since '98 or drilled which I planted from '78 to '97 so woudn't expect to see any in the 20s. As for cutting, yes they cut better on an angle but we have been cutting our beans for years thay way.

As for corn, the verdict is still out. We have encountered lodging problems this year but so have those on 30s, though mauybe not as severe. A 70 mph windstorm in early August followed by another one with 50 mph winds a couple weeks latter didn't help. Also, according to our agronomist we have had a severe outbreak of anthraxnos due to the cool damp weather this summer which really hit hard in our heavier, higher producing soils. I can also see there's a big learning curve on what hybrids work or don't work in 20s.

Yields wise, the 20s have been somewhat of a disappointment on our better ground. Again, part of that was due to the lodging & anthraxnos problems. On the lighter soils the 20s seem to being really good yield wise but we figured the 20s would be a more of a benifit on the lighter soils compared to the heavier soils.

One year isn't another to determine whether the 20s were a good decision or not. I said going in that it would take at least 5 years to really determine if they were right or not & I still am of that opinion.

FWIW
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)