AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

combine prices...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

steve1616
Posted 12/10/2009 21:23 (#959844 - in reply to #956899)
Subject: Re: combine prices...

North East Kansas
Smoothlander, I was wondering why no one was bringing this point up. The crop is your lively hood. I have seen people with old machines break down and not get their crop out on time. Your crop is your lively hood. I used to think like plowboy, until my Dad told me about some farmers that always went the used route. My Dad graduated from college with a business degree so he does understand money. The most important thing he said to me was that every situation is different for buying new vs. used, but sometimes people lose all their money by trying to save that dollar. As far as combines go, we mostly buy new, but it just depends on the situation, and a lot on the interest on the money if you don't have it. We bought our 2577 at the right time, in fact the next year combines climbed by 50k, and another 20k now. I have seen combines going used right now with more than 500 hours on them for 30k more than we paid in the first place. We are so happy with our combine that we might run it until it can't run anymore. I am not saying that buying new is always the answer, because we were looking at used machines when we bought our 2577. Certain machines are lemons, and they will not pencil whether they are new or used. I am just saying that sometimes you can run new cheaper than used.

I install pivots for farmers, and I have seen quite a few used pivots that farmers have way more money into than if they would have just bought it new. They don't have a warranty either.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)