AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

flowmeter on ground drive pump
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/9/2009 07:19 (#956819 - in reply to #956656)
Subject: RE: flowmeter on ground drive pump

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.

west illini - 12/8/2009 23:08

Does anyone run a flowmeter on a John Blue ground drive pump, to double check the rate? The one yr I used JB, I set it, and it seemed to come out ok. I am wanted to put a flowmeter on just to double check that the rate set from the chart is actually what I am putting on

We use them quite often with starter fertilizer setups on corn planters. Generally this has been with a Demco L'l Thumper pump mounted in the output line before any manifolds. We always put an orfice in the indivdual lines going to each row to create some slight backpressure to even out the flow to each row. As part of the orfice assembly we use a check valve so that the fertilizer doesn't drip out when the pump is stopped. See the link below.

Under some circumstances, the pulsations from the piston pump will result in an oscillating reading. Using rubber hose and mounting the flowmeter at a greater distance seems to help "even out" the readings. Using a shorter stroke setting and running the pump faster will also tend to smooth out the oscillations.

We have run these flowmeters with Raven consoles in manual (440 etc.) as well as other devices. Personally I use a Raven RFM15 flowmeter connected to an App Rate Module which is part of my Insight system on the planter/tractor.

In my setup I use the Insight with a Trimble autopilot for steering. The Insight works with a Clutch Control Module to shut off the seed in sections (not fertilizer) as well as the App Rate Module to watch the starter fertilizer application (it doesn't control the fertilizer). The Insight gives me several onscreen maps. One is of the varieties, one is the starter fertilzer rates as well as coverage maps.

Occasionally, the fertilizer rate will appear to oscillate but this is usually at very low ground speeds when I might be going around an obstacle. The rate smoothes out when I get back up to a more normal speed.

http://ld-ag.com/mcomp.htm

Edited by tedbear 12/9/2009 07:32

(Teds 1760 Flowmeter (600 x 450).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Teds 1760 Flowmeter (600 x 450).jpg (78KB - 188 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)