AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

crossing a river to get to 25 acres corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/27/2009 15:34 (#940636 - in reply to #940514)
Subject: You've never lived in a river bottom, have you Rich?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I was raised a quarter mile from a river, house and outbuildings all in the river bottoms.  1957 was the only time river got in the basement of the house, but it was high enough that we often tied the boat to the front porch at night.

Made many a trip out with a rack wagon and M tractor, water being moved by the fan on the tractor.  Replaced many bearings with lots of sand in them.  Had a 1957 Ford one-ton pickup with a low hangar bearing we often made trips out to dry land, you could count on 6 months after running through water to the floorboards that the hangar bearings would need replacing.  Front bearings would be re-packed, usually full of sand, after summer weather when water would seldom get out.

To this day, I avoid river crossings whenever possible, lots of damage in my experience.

And, I never had a problem with a bad bearing in a combine caused by a pressure washer, and washed my combine every year at least.  Just don't point directly at the bearing, let the water run over it was no problem.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)