AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kixor ? for coup....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boa628
Posted 11/20/2009 23:21 (#932556 - in reply to #931035)
Subject: Re: Kixor ? for coup....

SWOH
I would like to try some LL, but my uncle calls the shots on that. Jeffries has 3 varieties this year but it sounded like they were in short supply from SCI and I doubt my uncle would get any from somewhere else. From what I saw from the Stine fields guys had around here they looked spotless (kind of reminded me of what RR fields used to look like), but don't know what they yielded. I think the only chance we'd grow any would be if we did some seed for SCI. Weed control this year was kind of all over the place for us. We used 2.2 oz of Canopy EX, pint of 24D, and cropoil the previous fall...then on conventional beans we used 6 oz of Authority First, 1.3 pint Parallel (metachlor), pint of 24D, and a quart of generic gly. Had to hit around the outside of a few fields post with Basagran for thistles and hit a few fields post with Select 2EC for vol. corn. Probably should've sprayed everything post for grass but uncle didn't want to, some fields that didn't canopy until mid July had some late flushes of foxtail that wasn't real bad, but looked bad. And had vol corn poppin' up all summer it seemed. Plus some late marestail in August. Where ever we had a good stand and good canopy looked real clean. The RR beans I spot sprayed with 24D and gly pre plant for thistle patches and one field I covered all 80 acres, it was solid marestail (I mean thick) which was odd because I'd never had a marestail problem there before. I put Select on post with the gly just because they were about all seed beans and didn't want to take a chance on the vol. corn. But I did have some marestail issues late in a few of the RR fields, it was interesting that I could tell exactly where I turned the booms on and off spot spraying pre plant.....where I had them on no marestail and where I had them off there was marestail. So I think I convinced my uncle that we need to hit everything with a burn down plus residual next spring, even the RR beans which he didn't want to do in the past, and try to whip the marestail early. I'll get that all figured out over the winter. Only put on 1.1 oz of Canopy EX this fall (assuming I can still get all covered) and a few fields of just generic gly-24D, and got a gallon of Sharpen to try, so we'll see how all that turns out. Mark Loux recommends just gly and 24D in the fall and I still can't see how that helps any, but I guess he probably knows what he's talkin' about. I'm debating whether I should skip the grass residual on the conventional beans next year and just hit everything post with a grass herbicide since I had to go in for vol. corn on most of the fields anyway. I've got some thinkin' to do. It's kind of hard to figure out what to do because my uncle makes the final call on what to do but he knows absolutely nothing about weed control and doesn't want to learn so I have to try to explain what all the herbicides are and what they do. Sometimes he listens and sometimes he doesn't, he mostly just looks at the cost. Kind of aggravating. But Bill Mullens has been workin' on him so he's comin' around a little. Sorry Ed, long answer to a short question. For the most part I can't complain about the weed control in the beans. Seed corn fields (all conventional till) stayed pretty clean, although we did have some issues with Define and buggy whippin' early but it came out of it. The Impact did a real good job post again. On field corn (all no-till) we had a little trouble early with Bicep and buggy whipping, and had some giant rag issues in one field with the Bicep, 24D, and generic gly. Was really pleased with what the Corvus did, didn't have to hit anything post and didn't see any of the safety issues I've heard about elsewhere. I'm going to use more Corvus next year and less Bicep, have had issues with Bicep in the past. For the most part I'm pretty happy with how things turned out, though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)