AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alleopathy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 11/19/2009 10:08 (#930103 - in reply to #929866)
Subject: RE: Guys, its Allelopathy

Thumb of Michigan
martin - 11/19/2009 06:47

As I understand the allelopathy process, allelopathy is due to a chemical given off by the established crop.  Is that your understanding? Are we on the same page here?

"we've had good weed control results in plots we used to have with rye vs no rye. Those were no-till 30" non gmo soy's. Pre merge chem's were the same across the plots, but there were 2 post sprays required as a rule w/o rye, 1 with. We ran plots for a few years set up this way, and the results were similar each year regardless of weather conditions."

You still haven't proven to me that this is allelopathy - i.e. a chemical reaction in the soil - and not some other factor, as I mentioned in my previous post - e.g. ground cover reducing sunlight hitting the soil, lower soil temp, etc, etc, etc.

Not trying to prove anything, just stating random observations.

Our soil temps were cooler w/o a cover DEPENDING on when the temps were taken. Not due to the air temps getting warmer, maybe more due to our soils turning white when they dry and reflecting more heat. That's more of a no-till vs not sort of conversation rather than a alleopathic one.

In the rye into corn planted to soy deal, we didn't control all weeds with the rye. Did a real good job on lambs quarters, a fairly acceptable job on red root pigweed. Didn't hurt Canada Thistle much at all. Can't comment on annual grass as we don't have much trouble controlling that. Regardless, we had an awful lot of ground cover even w/o rye, although there was a lot more shading with rye.

I know that some parts of the country are very successful at planting corn after wheat. I am definitely not smart enough to do that. Used to try it every 5 years or so to re-prove it to myself. I've even tried a lot of different things to negate some issues. Tried strip till. Tried broadleaf cover crops. Really, the best we ever got at it was when we tried fire in the summer after wheat harvest. Not an acceptable answer for us. I haven't a clue why we can't make it work and other locations can, but I quit trying it.

Conversely, I think we've had pretty fair results planting broadleaves after wheat as long as we don't get slugs. Soy's after wheat seems to be as big an issue in some locations as we have here with corn after wheat. No clue why that is, and I might be misunderstanding that sentiment as well.

Yes, my understanding of allelopathy is a chemical reaction type of deal. Seen it for years around some species of pine trees. In fact I've used pine needles pretty successfully as a mulch around new pine tree seeding's vs other mulches. Allelopathy or auto toxicity or shading? Could be any of those, but don't care. It worked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)