AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any advice for mixed households? (pc and mac)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 11/19/2009 00:29 (#929765 - in reply to #929519)
Subject: Re: it's pretty simple, actually

Apple makes the hardware AND the software. The OS and the computers are made to work together. Mac OS only has to be written to work with a handful of different configurations. How many different PC configurations would you guess there are? Thousands? Millions? All the way from the biggies like Dell down to the guys building systems in their garage or basement. The term "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.

THAT is where the Mac really shines and where the customer satisfaction comes in. There are simply less "flaky" things that happen on the Mac.

As for your last statement - do you really think that all 80% of satisfied Mac owners are just saying they like them because they dropped a pile of cash for them? I don't think so. If nothing else, they would be MORE apt to complain if they were experiencing the same level of problems than they did with their cheaper PC's. As a Gleaner owner, I'm sure you have read the many posts the past several years from the Deere combine owners who have been complaining about poorer quality. Why would computer owners be any different?

I have a buddy who is a diehard Windows guy. Like you, he likes to tinker with his computers. He claims to enjoy messing around with them in order to keep them running in top form. I have no doubt that he doesn't have much "flakiness" going on with his systems due to the fact that he spends a fair amount of time dinking around keeping things in working order. I had to tinker with my Win machines too. I am far from an expert at it, but it seems like I was spending a lot of time troubleshooting one thing or another. At the time, I didn't seem to mind it, since that was all I knew. I very, very seldom have to tinker anymore - and don't miss it one bit. I'm the family "computer guy" and now dread getting those phone calls asking me about flakiness going on with Win machines. I have basically resorted to telling everyone that I have given up working on them. I absolutely hate it. If tinkering is up your alley, that is fine - but you also need to realize that the greatest majority of computer users out in the real world have no desire for tinkering and would just prefer their computers to work. And bringing them in to guys like you once a year for a checkup and maintenance is not something that most owners want to do either - as has been suggested in the past on this forum by some.

And then we get down to cost of ownership. Buy a cheap computer - spend $$ every year keeping it in good running form. Or buy a more "expensive" Mac and just have it keep working. I put "expensive" in quotations because when you really take a look at what you are getting when you buy a Mac, you aren't paying any more for it than a PC equipped in a similar manner. Macs come standard with a lot of very good software that would cost an arm and a leg to equip a PC with - but would still lack the cohesiveness that the Mac titles offer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)