AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More Micronutrient ??'s & Ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 11/1/2009 18:30 (#909832 - in reply to #909420)
Subject: Re: More Micronutrient ??'s & Ideas

I guess I'm not convinced foliar is better than seed or seed trench applied if you can plan ahead that much. Where foliar has to be the way is late in June when the early tissue tests come back with a big shortage.

I've only looked closely at molybdenum and manganese. It takes a quarter ounce of moly per acre applied to the seed to get a response, and it takes pounds applied foliar. Since its not an approved fertilizer in Iowa (ISU says we don't need any, yet my tissue tests showed otherwise and its needed in ALL other states and the rest of the world), its hard to buy in quantity.

And manganese shortage in beans seems to be responsible for yellow beans after they get sprayed with glyphosate, its said. I've not noticed that in my beans, but then maybe I sprayed glyphosate and took a two week vacation or my soil had enough. Anyway, any form of manganese but the chelated form just kills the effectiveness of glyphosate. And applying foliar maganese with glyphosate or within 8 days after applying glyphosate is not effective. So it has to be a separate pass before the glyphosate or 9 days later and if it was needed the beans would have been yellow most of those days.

I don't know about the other micronutrients. I'm sure I've seen comments on them in my study about two years ago on beans, but all that studying I did didn't get me 70 bushel beans partly because of late planting.

Its been said on this forum by Winkle and Wilson that typically tissue tests show one micro short. You bring that one up and then another one shows short because its shortage was hidden by the first shortage. But eventually you get the mix right and the crops thrive. I rented the place out and let someone else worry about those details now.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)