AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

True safety story from 32 years ago.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

illfarmr
Posted 6/12/2021 22:40 (#9055950)
Subject: True safety story from 32 years ago.

Central Illinois
We had erected one grain bin in each year, 1986, 1987, and 1988. In 1989, we planned on adding two grain legs, a continuous flow dryer and a pit for receiving grain. As we had done much of the work ourselves, but decided on leaving most of this to a millwright, I decided on doing the electrical work. Taking my farm wiring expertise, I decided to attend a three day agricultural electrical wiring workshop In Springfield to sharpen my skills. I really did learn a lot, and got lots of handouts. The afternoon of the third day was devoted to two Kansas professors doing a safety discussion. At one point, they started showing slides of farm wiring jobs they had photographed on farm visits. Now mind you, most of these guys attending were already electricians. They giggled at first, then start roaring, and finally a couple were rolling on the floor laughing hysterically. I kept looking at the slides and was very confused. What was wrong with that wiring job? We did that all the time! And how could that one be wrong, it worked fine for us. After awhile, I began to get the feeling that my work might not have been up to code. I did it anyway, and thirty two years later, it still works and hasn’t sent anyone to the hospital.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)