AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does $3 dollar corn put more spring in your step this winter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

fatbottomgirls
Posted 1/14/2007 23:02 (#88538 - in reply to #88378)
Subject: RE: Does $3 dollar corn put more spring in your step this winter

We might be saying it wont go back to the way it was 2 years ago also. I have no problem with big packing plants trying to gather in all the hogs they want. Be careful what you ask for is all I am saying. I think they are in way over their heads. They went to all the places where ethanol is going now because corn was cheap there Now it wont be. The logistics of trying to get their hands on the amount of corn they need is going to be increasingly difficult. I have enough corn storage to feed all of the hogs I feed on contract. They just assume corn would always be there for the taking. They are very arrogant when it comes to corn availibility. Even tyson , who has the smallest amount of contract production on the cattle and pork side was whining the other day . As of wednesday of last week they claimed it took 15 cents of corn to make 1/4 pund of beef. Yet they were buying more hogs than anyone for 8 bucks. They did not feel sorry for the pig farmers. I am enjoying the whole runnup in grain prices. There is way ,way to many people making money on hogs merely by renting buildings and writing long term contracts on space and with packing plants that bring nothing to the table , And believe me there all all kinds of small farmers highly leveraged that buy shares in sow farms ,then hire a contractor like me to finish them . I know that because I raise them for them. But to me looks like a failed business model at best.
Wendell Murphy had a excellent method of raising hgogs but left himself at the mercy of the packers. Joe Luter has an excellent hog raising machine a packing plant and no corn. You just cant build something that giant and be missing such an important thing. I think its all going to go back to the people with the grain being in charge on the livestock I see no other way for it to play out?
Windy arent I lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)