AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sorry, but another grain bin question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cr39
Posted 10/13/2009 00:13 (#882454)
Subject: Sorry, but another grain bin question.

I am a young farmer, and I never really have had any experience drying grain. Three years ago, we bought 6 grain bins that hold about 3500 bushel each (18' diameter, 16' tall). These were the government-type bins that were put up probably 20 years ago or more. These bins have a sheet metal floor with sand underneath. They also have a tube in each bin to help with drying.

About a week ago we filled two up with 16% moisture corn. The corn might also have been 15.5, too. We filled them up mostly at night. It was fairly dry and about 65 during the day. We do have three 12 inch fans for these bins.

Questions:
1. Should we fill the bins completely full? We filled the two bins so the corn was up (and touching) the roof.

2. Which way should the fans blow in air? We hooked the fans up last year so the fans actually sucked out air from the bin. This was the only way that I could see the fans work. I ask this because everyone is talking about blowing air INTO the bins.

3. How do I check moisture? I would assume just climb to the top, then take a sample from the top, then keep fan on until 15.5 moisture. I do have a handheld Dicky-John moisture tester.

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)