AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH Cyclo Planters Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jalopy
Posted 2/8/2021 17:55 (#8817096 - in reply to #8815391)
Subject: RE: IH Cyclo Planters Questions

NC IA
I've got an 8 r 900 with dry. I call it poor mans strip till. I'm 100% no-till, corn-soy rotation. I am using the stock double disc fertilizer openers. Will it get the fert in the ground 4" deep, no, maybe 2 at best but its in the ground and for the most part covered up. I run about 400# of product/acre in corn, and have it set about 3-4" to the side of the seed. I have to keep an eye on the fert opener units, they like to "creep" and a can move over to right in the row. That much fert is way too hot, I try to check placement about every field. Its a slow PITA, really slows down planting but this will be my 7th year of doing this and I am sticking with it because I like the results. I used to just hire coop to spread on top pre-plant. Now I have full control of my fertilizer and if I screw up its on me, but I have seen yields go up, especially the even-ness from one corner of the field to the other. It took out the lows and highs and evened them out while raising my averages. Corn I run the openers but beans I take them off and just drop if from the boxes, basically surface banding. Ive actually never tried leaving the openers on no-tilling beans, but I'm sure it wouldn't work with all the corn stalk trash. Beans don't care about placement as much anyway, and less N in the product to worry about losing. Now handling product, that is the hangup. I've been fortunate to have access to a tender truck most every season. For a few years I used an old grain-o-vator little auger wagon to tender the planter from the truck. Last year I deleted the tender wagon and built a big flexible bucket spout for the tender truck and filled the planter directly from the truck. That worked really well. But either way its a two-person operation filling the planter. Half-mile rows I'm filling every-other round. Its definately not for everybody, and I don't promote or persuade what I do, but it works for me and I like the results in my STO operation. Sorry for the long rambling post but to summarize its fun to take a piece of basically scrap iron (an old rusty cyclo) and raise as good or better crop than the BTOs with the lastest and greatest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)