AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric Motor Timer Follow Up (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/24/2021 13:19 (#8777489 - in reply to #8777173)
Subject: Off topic but tilt switch for sump pump or to fill storage tanks

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
This might work for your sump pump. It is a float tilt switch. The yellow cylinder is attached to something solid. When the water rises the float rises but eventually tilts because the cord is holding it on just one end. Then an internal ball rolls toward the cord end and activates a switch which could start the pump, the pump continues to run until the water level is so low that the float tilts the other way and the internal ball rolls to the other end away from the switch and then the pump would stop. The cord has 3 wires. You use the common and one of the others depending on how you want the circuit to behave. So it could be used to fill a tank and stop when it got full or empty a tank and stop when it got mostly empty. This could work fine but would require enough space for the float to work.

If you want more of a "dead band" between start/stop you pull the cord through the cylinder further. This changes the distance that the float is away from the cylinder which is at a fixed height and the tilt angle for both the high and low tilt points would change. This could work very well but the surface area of the tank would need to be large enough for the float to operate.

I have a sump pump that uses this concept but the length of the "tether" is fixed and attached to the pump.

Edited by tedbear 1/24/2021 13:23

(IMG_0990[1] (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0990[1] (full).JPG (140KB - 20 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)