AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

9400 Combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 1/10/2021 10:27 (#8739178 - in reply to #8738613)
Subject: RE: 9400 Combine

Faunsdale, AL
I had the whole cylinder inside the combine walk over on the shaft so the end of a rasp bar would scrub a bolt head sticking out on the left side of the separator housing. This happened only when turning as the structure of the combine apparently flexes slightly during a turn. It wasn’t a problem, so I waited until I had other repairs in there to get cylinder moved back to the center of the separator housing.

Just to reiterate
The engine gear case has a clutch inside that uses hydraulic pressure from the steering pump to engage the separator drive shaft. This shaft runs down and forward through the clean grain hopper to the primary countershaft drive gearbox behind the cab. The primary countershaft runs everything to cut and thrash the crop. The electric header drive clutch hangs on the left end of it where it sticks through the hollow shaft of the gearbox. On the right side of the combine, there is a big support bearing, a smaller pulley that drives the secondary countershaft by a large belt and then the big variable speed cylinder drive pulley hangs on the extreme right end of it.

It seems likely that the combine frame flexes slightly when turning and crossing uneven ground and the primary countershaft will move slightly left to right and up and down in relation to the gearbox. It’s possible this changes the air gap on the clutch slightly or flexes the structure supporting the box in some way that can result in the ticking.

Keep after it! Sounds as though it’s relatively predictable and repeatable, so you’ll figure it out eventually.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)