AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What does your semi weigh (tractor only)?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 12/28/2020 19:18 (#8704162 - in reply to #8704095)
Subject: RE: What does your semi weigh (tractor only)?

Not mine but we used to rent one. I never weighed it separate but it had to weigh around 12,500.
Day cab with aluminum hood. Torsion bar suspension. .255/22.5 tires on 10 aluminum rim, .disc brakes, no passenger seat.
6v 92 tta Detroit with a 9 speed The thing had no gauges except for a tachograph. Stationary fifth wheel. No radio, 1- 50 gallon fuel tank.
I really liked it. With the small tires it was as easy to get in and out of as my pickup.
We rented it to haul to a bin. $50 a day and .07 a mile. With the small fuel tank we set a 110 tank where we parked it to unload so we could fuel while unloading. The first time we took it back the guy I rented it from couldn't believe we used it to haul from the field to the bin. We put 3500 miles on it in less than a week. This was in the days before auger wagons and grain legs on farms. I finally had to tell him we had a driver in it 24 hours a day, and fueled while we unloaded.
The one I drive now weighed 14,000 when I brought it home. Me in it and half a tank of fuel I believe. I was surprised how much more it weighed when I took the bias ply Firestones off and put on some extra deep tread radials. I think I gained 500 pounds.
Probably weighs close to 16,000 now. Tool boxes, straps chains etc. Not to mention a bunk full of stuff...

Edited by IADAVE 12/28/2020 19:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)