AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

shelled corn today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/28/2009 23:26 (#864283 - in reply to #864201)
Subject: RE: shelled corn today

southern MN
I'm near New Ulm, not too far away.

I've put corn in up to 33% moisture - that one I needed to feed most of it out by late spring - last year 110 day corn wasever grown in these parts, what a miserable fall that was!

I've had good luck putting 30% in on bad years, with a little management. Works out good. Gotta watch the core, wherever all the kernals fall, that will mess up on you quick in spring. I feed out some corn to cattle, so I get that part used up.

You can put in 24% moisture corn all fall long in a wooden crib, 6 foot sides, and it will be about 14-15% moisture by June. Very little spoilage at all, and real good test weight. This was 57.5 - 58.1 test.

This happened to be picked very late last fall, corn never did dry much, was 20% or so after that rain & snow we got. A lot of melted snow went up with the elevator, was only 10-12 acres I put in last year.

I shoulda shelled it earlier, but we got so dry I was scared I wouldn't fill my contracts for this fall. By the time we caught a rain, I had a lot of irons in the fire & here we were, shelling last week. Neighbor bought it for a slight bonus, corn is pretty short here I understand, anyone needing to feed or fill an ethanol contract is getting hard to find any left.

It's a lot of work, but for a few 1000 bu, we kinda enjoy it. Asked the wife a couple years ago if I should let it go & just do it all with the combine, she said it was a nice weekend, build a little cardio vascular. :)

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)