AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low OM soil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 9/28/2009 18:19 (#863785)
Subject: Low OM soil

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!

So this spring  I bought some land adjacent to my home farm, and it has much lower soil OM, a lighter texture and has a greater depth to heavier subsoil than I am used to.

I farm mainly black loam/clay/loam soil with OM levels of from 5-9 %. This stuff has only 1-2%, and is a lighter loam, over a clay loam, but the depth to the clay loam is around 8 inches greater than I am used to.

It has been in grassland for as long as I can remember, (I am 33), and should therefore have a decent active OM portion. I have read this active portion is more important than the long term stable portion, so does the lower overall level mean my productive capacity is way less than my better soil? It was farmed with no fertilizer and so I have no clue if it has much capability to produce, as the grass has never been all that hot on it. They were halfways organic farmers. LOL.

Also should I be concerned about the greater depth to a more moisture retaining soil? I see guys on here with low organic matter soils than I have seen, and am wondering if OM is as critical as I think...

This soil seems to have a decent earthworm population, and  my intention is to no-till from here on in. I have had it sprayed, and do not intend to till it ever and wreck all the structure and tilth that has been built  up over the years. I grow cereal grains, canola, flax, peas, etc. if I till it it will turn to powder and bake like cement, judging by the mole hill reaction. I intend to get soil tests done this fall.

Any comments would be great, as I am new to this type of soil depth, texture, and especially OM.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)