AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CSP program
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 9/27/2009 16:35 (#862365 - in reply to #862350)
Subject: RE: What will a continuous notiller gain?

Nevada, Iowa
I suppose that rules evolve or change by area or time but our watershed had the opportunity to sign up several years ago. We have one fairly religious no tiller in our area. He uses an aerway aerator in his no till program. The use of this tool and his honesty in proclaiming it cost him the ability to comply. It counted as too many trips across the field. I know of no one else in the area that sticks to the no till principals as much as he does so I doubt if anyone in the county complied, unless they lied about the trips. The real issue in my mind was a very thorough and probing survey that divulged a huge amount of information before you got to the personal interview process. That interview was basically a formal rejection. They didn't seem too interested in wildlife areas or buffers and if you mentioned livestock you had about twice the paperwork to do. In the end, NRCS got a lot of personal information, we got hours of paperwork and a bunch of disappointment. Oh and we had to secure landowners permission before we could even enter into the discussion phase then we had to explain to the owners why we weren't accepted. Even if we had been accepted we were subject to being cut from lack of funding. The whole process made me feel rather foolish for wasting the time. I really think the administration at that time wanted to look like they were doing something responsible but wouldn't fund the program well enough to allow anyone to participate. Hopefully it is being taken more seriously in other areas, if not, I don't think I would spend one minutes worth of time on it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)