AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sesame harvest has begun
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Cowboy85
Posted 11/6/2020 12:41 (#8589226 - in reply to #8589183)
Subject: RE: Sesame harvest has begun

Medford, OK
Price is set the year before. So for 2021 we should be getting a price for it here before too long. For 2020 the price was .34/lb. for my area. Don’t know if that’s different from other places or not.

What I’ve found the biggest benefit from this crop is the root system. It has a tap root on it that digs quite a ways down. You plant around 1-2 pounds per acre (depending on row spacing, geography, irrigated, etc). So far this year I’ve heard yields from 200 pounds to 1,100 pounds per acre. I didn’t fertilize my sesame this year as this is all virgin sesame ground, so figured it would dig down and grab any residual nutrients that wheat and soybeans can’t go down to get.

The toughest times of a sesame farmer is planting and harvesting.

For planting, it’s many the emergence as it doesn’t have much pushing power. So guys in my area had to plant 3 times before finally getting a stand.

For harvesting, it’s the moisture. Since it’s November, it’s hard to get the moisture down below 7% which means lots of 2-3 hour cutting days. Also, make sure you haul in what you cut everyday, this grain likes to rise in moisture overnight just sitting in the truck (don’t ask me how I know that)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)