AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn heads
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/27/2020 08:29 (#8569114 - in reply to #8569074)
Subject: RE: Corn heads

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
D6Joe - 10/27/2020 08:11

12%? Good lord why? They got some special export requirements? 15% here. What a ripoff for you.

That would be a killer. Here if you sell right a way, they apply shrink and drying charges above 15%. So if I bring in a load at 15.5%, a formula is used to "shrink" the weight. Then a drying charge is imposed based on the moisture above 15%. This irritates me because the branch I deliver to grinds it all for hog feed and doesn't even have a dryer. Their argument is that they would charge for drying at the other branches that do have a dryer on site so they need to be fair.

If I bring in a load and wish to store it, the magic number is 14%. Anything above 14% is subject to "shrink to 14%" and a larger drying charge if you store. This usually means selling is the best choice.

Each load stands on its own and no averaging is involved.

Another elevator (different company) uses an averaging approach. If you sell and are bringing in several loads, loads less than 15.5% are considered to be in what they call the "low group". Any loads above 15.5% stand alone and are discounted individually.

When you finish hauling for that session, all the loads in the low group are averaged together. If the average of the low group is below 15% then no discount or drying charge is applied to any of those loads. It amounts to thinking of the loads that were less than 15.5% as being one large load.

If I bring in a load at 15%, another at 15.2%, another at 14.7% and another at 15.8% (assume all the same size), they would handle this as follows: The load at 15.8% stands by itself and would have shrink and drying charges applied. The other loads are under 15.5% so they are considered in the low group. Their average is just under 15% so no discount or drying charge is applied to them. Those bushels are considered to be "good enough" This could be helpful if your loads are in the ballpark.

However, the other elevator that charges for the dryer which they don't have, usually has a better price that overshadows the savings in discount.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)